Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Try and give someone advice on a proposed build and suggest somewhere to start with the good experience ive had with my engine and all the wankers come out with off topic rubbish as usual.

Starting from the top, ONLINE makes the perfect point in that an engine that makes good reliable power in street trim is an 11sec car and then gutted with abit of thought put into the chassis is a 9 sec car, going along with what ive said every post in this thread.

TAKEN, any machinist not willing to warrant his work isnt one worth going too and companies like Darton wouldnt be as big as they are now if there product couldnt be installed and reliable by any suitably tooled up machinist. Also what do you consider a "full race motor" one that runs nines?? Put a "Race Motor" in a un setup, under tyred, chassis with stock driveshafts, and you get a car that is not launched as hard as it could have been and spins down the track and pulls an 11 or so.

Pwr2w8 your spot on, money talks, and there arnt many big boys in this country, online have built the best chassis we've seen but they havnt exactly had impressive motors in either of their cars yet they have the records so good on them, they spent the money! It isnt rocket science but money, and if you've ever been to the states and been around any form of motorsports, its there unlike anything you've seen here, even touring cars.

Danny built MSTCHF 's motor and Hypertune did everything around it, its a very good set-up and well built motor that came from previous experience from Adrian @ Toda and Mark @ Hypertune, Danny got alot of info and advice from Adrian as he worked @ Croydon before going out on his own, you dont need a lab nor workshop to strap an engine together yet everyone goes on about "backyard" boys.

WEQ im far from a shop you peanut, nor have i ever been involved or worked in the car retail industry, though i have been in the scene for many years, consider myself having a decent amount mechanical knowledge coming from an aviation background.

I see you like assuming things or taking things the wrong way as you've quoted me as saying things i havnt.

I had my block sleeved near 3 years ago when not many had sleeved engine's ( Honda's that is ) and through a us contact had it done cheaper including freight then the cost of the sleeves themselves, so wouldnt i take advantage of such an offer??

As with anything in life, a job done for the first time is not going to be as good or as quick as if it is done repeatedly and one learns from what they are trying to do.

In this case being the honda block, we examined mine and small things were noted that were done different and made for an overall better job, maybe these steps are now included in the install instructions, i dont know, but no where did i say it was superior or a reason to only send your block to GE or Darton as it isnt, as Grumpy states, big HP motors of all types have had sleeves done here with no probs, and my next block would be done here without question and he has and makes the torque plates for any engine he machines, otherwise doesnt do it.

As for nut hugging an arrogent pr*ck, im not one to comment on your taste in men but im sure if like most normal people who want a service from someone, they enquire and if there not happy with the price,service ,or the individual they are dealing with, GO ELSEWHERE you wanker, its pretty simple!

The reason this shop isnt the quickest nor the cheapest is because he is good and has work hanging out his arse and a quality job is always maintained, but think it would still be cheaper then sending it to the states, but in saying that if there was ever a time to do so, its now given the exchange rate and read my post properly you twit, his budget will not cover ALL PARTS AND MACHINING as i posted!

Let alone what he has already listed in parts, but add to that machining,porting, fuel system, thermal management,intercooler,piping and exhaust and he'll soon be needing to add to that budget of his.

As for Australian parts in the scene, its not as easy for someone here to produce a worthwhile product and then be able to supply the demand of the states, most here are happy doing the work using parts available and the numbers and budgets are just not here to justify it so why would they, they'd have to invest so much money and time getting it to take off o.s and the capital isnt here like the U.S or Japan.

Mark and the crew at Hypertune are pumping out some good products,cars and there fabrication is A1, they have done and do all my work and i have and will recommend them to anyway looking for that service, ive known Mark for near 10yrs now as we were engineers together at Qantas, i believe they also did a small amount of work on your d series John?

Grumpy sums it up well with his last post and trust me, alot of racers over there running there stock sleeved, cast piston, 50psi d series in a 600-700kg frames also end up holding their balls when it shits after a few runs but they dont care, in the mean time fellow d series fans like yourself think there the coolest.

Sexc86, the car you speak of is Mark @ Hypertunes civic, im sure he wont mind me stating but this engine with its power figures is a stock sleeved, non ported B16A and run that time with near no effort placed into the chassis with stock drivshafts and as far as weight reduction goes, they pulled the rear and passenger seats out. So id be confident that this engine in a light chassis would cut low 10's or 9's no problem, so seeing its stock sleeved and no porting, is it not now considered a race motor???

Ill finish by saying that Marks engine is at the same machinist now getting machining done for its freshen up so he must do something right.

I stand by people and services ive used and trust which is all i tried to do at the beginning.

Weq, you've come across as nothing but a wanker that loves what he does, so ill leave you to it.

EGB18CT, once again ill say do your homework, shop around and good luck with your build.
    Last edited by Slaz; 18-01-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Mistake.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EG
    Do all people running 11's think 9's is as easy as a chassis setup and removing weight.. you can have the greatest car in the world and go backwards if you have nothing upstairs.. I would love to see any of you actually attempt to run a 9sec pass and then tell me how easy it is.. Don't blame it on money..

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX Drag Cars
    My suggestion to you would be to speak to a few shops, get a few ideas and go from there. If you want to do the build yourself you will experience hiccups just like we all have experienced in the past with something of such big HP. It's all a learning curve. No one is going to tell your their secrets, whether it be here or in the states. Doesn't look like this thread will be too helpful to you.. Too many guru's around here.. Good luck with it, another 9sec car is what this country needs.
    PRO FWD 9.07@161.48 FWD.. 04
    ALLMOTOR 10.83@123.23 NA FWD 05

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Im no guru and quicker cars in this country would always be a good thing, but yes TAKEN, i believe alot of 11sec cars mentioned with the power they produce if they put more money and time setting up there chassis and removing weight would be in that bracket, but not many people want to render their cars streetless in the process either unlike most of the quicker cars getting around.

I also believe that if someone with an open cheque book went looking for a car and engine that would pull 9's, it could be all catered for here, but the money, popularity, demand, and competition just isnt here, though i think it will be in time.

ive just registered on this site to give my opinion.

the machinist that slaz is taking about has just finished my block and i can tell you weg that this guy will shit on 85% of the US machinists. He is a guru and has got work coming out of his arse and he doesnt advertise, doesn't need to. When he machines blocks he makes sure he has done all his homework and he makes all torque plates to suit each block.

I have seen golden eagle blocks and i saw the block my machinest has sleeved and ill tell you there identical.

He is expensive, likes to take his time, but what you get is top quality.
    Now the reason why the US has quick street and drag cars is because the honda market is huge there and they have the R&D, as for in Oz we have a smaller market with people that don't like to spend the dollars to go quicker.

Weg ill tell you that our motors are more reliable than the yanks, they get the numbers because they make a few passes with extreme boost and blow there motor and have another 1 ready to go in the next day.

As for this machinist he use to do all of CRD work and look what they achived in drag racing.

Weg don't think that were not capable of building tough engines its just people dont spend the money.

Im hoping my B20 will make good hp as ive done alot of homework, firstly my machinist is the best probably in australia, the guy that is going to port my head in australia has ported some of the USA top honda n/a drag cars and he is also a guru, we have the best tuners i believe, CRD, TODA, the only think were lacking is chassis setup, but we will get there.
    Im hoping on making aleast 260hp with my B20/Vtec setup/

Slaz what you say makes alot of sense , dont worry what others say just do your own thing and prove these guys knocking you wrong.

my 2 cents

Account Disabled Array
    At least 260hp for a B20? Damn thats a big build.

I don't believe Toda is the best tuner this country has to offer. Had some past dealings with his tuned and its pretty much average. Flat spots blah blah blah. thats a 14sec motor let alone a 11 sec motor

But back to the topic, who is this machinist, i want my b20 to get sleeved as well? If he's work is of good quality, why not spread his good name to the public forum of ozhonda? I'm pretty sure he'll be a valuable contact for engine building. PM me if you don't want to disclose on this thread

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    As mentioned earlier Benson, he doesnt deal with the public and likes it that way and i dont blame him, there's more tools around the car scene then a Snap On truck!

How many other businesses do you deal with that contract out work and make a cut, thats business bud and businesses are their to make money and a lively hood for their owners, you know where a good job can be had so why not enquire like i stated early on in this thread trying to be helpful to someone doing a build.
    Last edited by Slaz; 19-01-2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling

benson even if i told you who the machinist is, but i cant tell you or others as he doesn't want off the street work, he will knock you back SIMPLE!!!.

All i can say is let the car's do the talking on the track, 1 car that does this is hi-power racing, why because he know's his shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    At least 260hp for a B20? Damn thats a big build.

I don't believe Toda is the best tuner this country has to offer. Had some past dealings with his tuned and its pretty much average. Flat spots blah blah blah. thats a 14sec motor let alone a 11 sec motor

But back to the topic, who is this machinist, i want my b20 to get sleeved as well? If he's work is of good quality, why not spread his good name to the public forum of ozhonda? I'm pretty sure he'll be a valuable contact for engine building. PM me if you don't want to disclose on this thread

Account Disabled Array
    All good mate.

Thats right.. the track is a good indication of the true hp. When i mean track its 1/4 mile not circuit.

But from what i've heard Hi power racing get his engines from overseas pre-built?

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    just spoken to my gf's uncle who is heavily in the v8 drag scene, aparently there is a really good machine shop in braeside in melbourne, think the head machinist/owners name was steve (sorry forgot his name) has full cnc machinery, does heaps of work for the v8 supercars guys etc. anyone heard of such a place? also a good shop in adelaide that does cnc heads?

There are plenty of places all over australia with cnc machinery dude. The issue in my opinion would actually be finding one with programs for honda heads.
    DLUG Racing

benson he gets his engines done by his uncle in singapore, but what does that matter, its the tuning that is the brains and what makes the hp of a good built engine RIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    All good mate.

Thats right.. the track is a good indication of the true hp. When i mean track its 1/4 mile not circuit.

But from what i've heard Hi power racing get his engines from overseas pre-built?