Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    DC4 <-----She's Gone :(

Couple of questions on motors

Hey guys need some help Im looking for a new engine for my up and coming swap was interested in knowing some info if these are relaible and good performance engines.

1st up Im wondering about the F20B if this is a suitable or good option for a swap into either an EG or EK.

2nd Im looking at this H22A and it says that its out of an 00-01 Euro Type R??? Im not sure but I thought they had K20a's in them correct?
    Any way so if thats also a option or not please say.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    the F20B swap is quite a rare one... I know of a guy on here doing it in an EK, search for "jase EK"

as for the H22A, that was available in JDM Euro Rs which we didnt get here...

Either of those 2 swaps wont really be cheap ones unless u can do alot of the work urself...
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Banned Array
    Car:
    why? Is it not a fairly simple drop in? apart from mounts and axels ect.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    well alot of EG/DC/EK parts are interchangable so naturally the B series swaps are really str8 forward swaps...

Those 2 motors are from completly different cars, so the parts wont fit without modification...
    Its not neccassarily hard to do this, u just need the kno how and ofcourse the more work involved the more the cost will go up
    Last edited by VTi_b0i; 20-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Banned Array
    Car:
    hmm i would rather do the drop in myself as far as I can with the help of a friend or two kinda makes me go the k20a route if im gonna have to screw around with mods

Member Array
    Car:
    Nissan Micra Type R
    k20/24 combo ftw...

Then put a snail in it
    NHB DC2R

TYP 20R

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    animal cruelty ftl lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    H22A - these were in the preludes 92-96

check out this list
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82055
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

im getting a h22a into a 96 EK1.Its a bit more than drop in with new drv shafts and mount. Well u could but if u want to do it properly then yeah it cost more. If u dont have 5 figures budget then do a H swap but money is not a problem then do a K series.

Member Array
    Car:
    '92 EG Civic VTi
    If your after the H22A4 in to an EG then you'll have to get a conversion harness for OBD2 - OBD1. If it's the H22A1, you can pretty much retain most (if not all) of your wiring inside the bay and dash. A few more wires are involved though, for example: the resistor box that's needed to run the factory peak and hold injectors needs to be wired up to the ECU before it will work. A lot of the sensors that are on the H22A1 won't even be needed so they can be stripped without a problem (inculding the EGR valve).

The axels can be mixed/matched with Prelude BB4 intermediate shafts and Integra LS axels. It'll hold the power unless your working the engine, then you may have to opt for Hasport or other strengthened axels (they can be made locally).

Possibly a slightly bigger fuel pump than stock considering the slight difference in size of the injectors from the EG compared to the BB4/6 'lude. Even a Bosch will do. Don't have to go crazy with an oversize Walbro (unless your running massive injectors and a Turbo on the H22's...or a 2JZ!).

Also heightening the car a little will also stop your car from scraping the sump, as the sump on the H22A sits lower than any D or B series engine. Bigger set of wheels, or adjusting the height of your car via C spanners (if you have HA suspension) will cure that. Even shocks/springs to stop your car from bouncing too much will work. Probably best to do the latter, as the H22A does weight a tad bit more (give or take 50kg...so a whole other person sitting at the front...maybe a girl...or a skinny boy?).

Anyway if you need more info on the H22's, have a look at this site here: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=650329

It should give you a hell of a lot of detail for you to DIY. Just need the necessary tools and equipment. I'm doing mine myself, so give me a PM if you need some help, or just some info. Either way, that article is there for you to look at.

Forgot to add, you also need the Prelude shifter assembly and shifter cables. The gearbox operates via a different mechanism rather than what most early model Civics use. The newer ones have a similar cable shifters, the Integras as well. Mind you, this DOESN'T mean the clutch is cable...it's still hydraulically operated.
    Last edited by hayashi_1986; 30-01-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Quote Originally Posted by tegstar83 View Post
    2nd Im looking at this H22A and it says that its out of an 00-01 Euro Type R???
    It's a Euro R not a Type R

So I'm assuming ur tossing up between the F20B and H22A right? First thing to keep in mind is that a b-series swap is by far the easiest but neither of these is particlarly difficult.

So, firstly I would take a look at the H2B Kit (i think its made by an American company called Quartersports). I don't know all the advantages of the kit, but it allows you to use a B-series transmission and mounts (i think) and some other parts when swapping in a H series motor. There's plenty of info on Honda-tech if you haven't heard of it before.

Secondly, depending on your goals, i would take the F20B over the H22A in a civic for a mild to semi-built state. See this thread that i created a while back:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...0ltr+DOHC+VTEC

THe only issue with the F20B is that parts are rare, and aftermarket support is minimal (although lots of H22A parts can be used on it). THis was enough to push me towards a B20vtec

Good luck with the decision