Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Yeah, for upshifting, you don't need to double clutch at all. Even when downshifting, I only rev match. The only time when I doubleclutch is when downshifting from 6th to 2nd/3rd (skipping 4th and 5th) or when I want to get into 1st gear when the car is moving.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by krogoth View Post
    thank god, finally a bit more sense, som1 finally points up that in our hondaz, with good gear boxes, U DONT NEED TO DOUBLE CLUTCH
    Who here said you need to double clutch? I didn't read that anywhere. There's nothing special about Honda gearboxes, you don't need to double clutch on any synchromesh gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitZ View Post
    I think 80% of people think double clutch is the same as dabbing clutch (while in gear and on throttle)...

too much too furious... ahah
    Where is this figure from? After Benson's comment I as far as I can tell everyone's understanding of double clutching is the same.

Double clutching on downshifts is not necessary on a modern synchromesh gearbox it's just better for your synchros, simple as that.

Why are we even talking about this? It's the same as say warming up your car, as long as you're sensible and don't rev the crap out of your car when it's cold, you don't need to warm up your engine. My old car has done over 400 000 kays and is still going strong and it was never warmed up but it was well treated. You don't need to double clutch and your gearbox could easily last as long, provided you look after it, so don't clutchless shift or downshift by punching the clutch in and out.

However Honda don't make frictionless non contact gearboxes. Synchros suffer from wear and tear and double clutching reduces this wear and tear. Do a search for "synchro" on this forum, it's hardly uncommon for synchros to wear out and it's generally pretty expensive to fix. That's why people double clutch, for the same reason people do an oil change twice as often as the manufacturer recommend, it may not be necessary but you know it's better for the car. If you're using $30 a bottle oil, why not use better $50 oil, or $100 oil? Everyone draws a line somewhere and for a lot of people double clutching is going too far.

I've already stated that I double clutch infrequently (situationally like aaronng I guess) and I'd say the vast majority of people never do and have never had problems with the synchros. But for anyone reading this shouldn't have to suffer through people's inability to think outside their own set ways. Have a look at that howstuffworks link again, this isn't a subjective question, double clutching means less wear on your synchros, it's how a gearbox works. That's why people double clutch, not because they've been watching too much Fast and the Furious :/ I hope I haven't pissed anyone off who's reading this, this is just not a topic worth getting worked up over! That said I've had better debates and while I didn't really enjoy being called a fag, (I presume that was directed at me) the OP seemed to appreciate me going to some effort to dig up some links and explain things so eh.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 Vti-T 6psi
    buy a set of pedals that have the extra little side bit on the accelerator. its really not that hard anyways...
    WTB: ED6 ftw/EFI D-series front cut
    For sale - Short-Ram Intake
    Buy My Car

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 Vti-T 6psi
    haha btw every time i downshift, i mean EVERY time (pulling up to the traffic lights/my driveway etc) i do heel toe, so yeah just do it heaps and youll get it
    Buy My Car

Member Array
    Car:
    T80
    haha you must look like a hero everytime you pull up to the lights...

WOOOOM.... WOOOOOM.

oh btw i do it too! lmao its smoother and sounds fully sik uleh
    Last edited by rawr; 05-03-2008 at 05:16 PM.
    OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

BRING BACK THE SPOTTED THREAD

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 Vti-T 6psi
    haha it makes me feel big especially with my 1.6 sohc engine
    Buy My Car

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9