Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    gokart

Smile COILOVERS or springs?

looking for coilovers for my fd civic

does anyone know any good brands
    and where to get them?

not too expensive but not too cheap as in quality wise.

or is it a better idea to just get springs thanks.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    08 FD1
    Yeh i was thinking the same thing ... coilover or springs :S.

Member Array
    Car:
    T80
    I was taught coilovers are essentially a good spring + shock combination

Just the coils and shocks are made for each other so they are put together

It might help to ask what you want to achieve. i.e. just height? do you mind having a rough ride? etc etc
    OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

BRING BACK THE SPOTTED THREAD

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic 2008
    me too was thinking....was thinking of getting Tein S springs.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Depends on whether you're gonna track it, want it lower later on or just set and forget.

Tein super streets are very good street coil overs or just Tein or spoon srings are very good. Spoon one are quite firm and should be good with sock shocks as they dont go too low!

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    if you got the money go complete coilover system, best street performance for best/closest to stock comfortability.

Getting just spings and just wacking it on your stock shocks, arnt usually recommended at all..because stock shocks cant handle the spring rate that aftermarket springs have, well they can handle it.. just a matter of time before they blow.

OR you can opt for a spring+shock combo , e.g. ( get sm yellow koni shocks, and pick and springs on the market you want. cause koni shocks are good and have adjustable rate.)

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic Si (USDM)
    Wait for the KONI Yellows for the FG2/FD. They're currently under development and should be out in April. KONI and RedShift are collaborating on this project to achieve good DD performance and occasional track/auto-x. They're using VW Golf front shocks and Mitsubishi Eclipse rear shocks for this setup.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    8th Gen MY07 Civic VTi
    What if i was wanting real tough suspension for high speed corner? i wanna avoid coilovers coz i dun wanna wreck my car. what springs do u guys recommend?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by n6290884 View Post
    What if i was wanting real tough suspension for high speed corner? i wanna avoid coilovers coz i dun wanna wreck my car. what springs do u guys recommend?
    What do u mean by "wreck your car"...?

If ur looking for good suspension for high speed cornering (tracking) then Coilovers are the best option for u

Thumbs up

rekon in the long run coilovers will be more practical in the sense that it will provide you with more choices than lowered springs

choices in ride height in case you intend to chage from 17 to 20" wheels or vice versa.

intending to cruise to unfamiliar roads, you can adjust the height into a more higher setting for ground clearance.

getting more passangers will put stress on the struts and adjustment of the stiffness is another choice.
    too many variables to consider.too many advantages.

only thing that would be a disadvange is the price which most of them is too expensive.

but in the other hand how much is" expensive".there are many big companies that make coilovers that is cheap and be reliable. like the skunk 2 pro S (AU$ 900 to 1100 shipped).this coilover has adjustable hieght but not adjustable damper. tein basic is another big company that makes coilover for the FD1.adjustable height and damper (au$1100 to1300) ETC ETC

at the end of the day.i belive that coilovers are the best bang for the buck suspension upgrade.

Member Array
    Car:
    T80
    a GOOD shock + spring combo is only a few hundred difference between a decent set of coils

Coils are worth it
    OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

BRING BACK THE SPOTTED THREAD

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by rawr View Post
    a GOOD shock + spring combo is only a few hundred difference between a decent set of coils

Coils are worth it

Yep, may aswell if you're gonna spend the $$$.