Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    so you reckon a turbo B16A will be more reliable & make more power than a turbo B18C7? (ceteris paribus of course)
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    What is it with the legal profession's obsession with Latin?

No wonder no one likes them...

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    so you reckon a turbo B16A will be more reliable & make more power than a turbo B18C7? (ceteris paribus of course)
    Between a B16A2 and a B18C2 it'll be a close battle I guess. The B18C7 is a different breed, it's hardly fair when it has 15%+ more power stock. So in terms of more power, the B18C will have it, but reliability the B16A with less compression and higher rpm. In the end i'm not saying one is better than the other, I just think that the whole "more capacity is better" statement is grossly over-stated. They are all the same block (*), the end result isn't going to be that much different with less capacity, the operating points of the engine will just change and you can use gearing to adjust for this.
    Last edited by string; 25-03-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    i think fatboyz/benson was selling their turbo b16, engine + turbo conversion.

Maybe a drive down spend a few days in SYd and drive back with a boosted b16?
    Yes we still do have that b16a motor and turbo kit....

It will go for no less than 8k... Its got a few goodies with the motor package and not your average ebay turbo kit.

Conversion will take approx 2 days...

If your interested PM me and we can go from there and sort out a package for you

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    Stock for stock, or even with the same mods applied to both motors just for comparison's sake...

B18C anything > B16 anything
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    In the end i'm not saying one is better than the other,
    well, what use are you???

the OP wanted an opinion, not fence sitting...

i agree with Q_ball's position on the matter.
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    yep i have a b16 turbo and i have to say its fun, but at the end of the day a b18 turbo with the same setup will make more power than mine, and i've seen this.

In regards to a b16 & b18 there is not much difference between the two other than larger capacity. But it does give the b18 more torque

As for revving. Higher RPM cars are generally less reliabile. Higher RPMs kill engines. There is a reason why race cars get their engines stripped and rebuilt after each race.

end of the day its up to you, but if your talking more power b18 will make more power than the b16.
    Either will be as reliabile depending on build and quality of build parts & of course tuning
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Account Disabled Array
    b16a + turbo + rev 9k + vtec = fun.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    if you really wanna rev to 9k buy a b18c7.
    Rebuilding a b16 to rev to 9k will cost quite abit and if your gonna spend that type of money do the b18c7

Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    As for revving. Higher RPM cars are generally less reliabile. Higher RPMs kill engines. There is a reason why race cars get their engines stripped and rebuilt after each race.
    Race engines need rebuilds because they make so much power. Spinning fast doesn't make things break, unexpected factors do; like tuning, or oil starving, or overheating - or mechanical failure from detonation due to poor fuel for example - when was the last time you heard an engine break because it was revving high? The piston speeds of a B16A are much lower than the B18C, you'd need to go well into the 9000's to start to see rod forces near the Type-R. A race car subjected to consistent high power output is hardly unreliable because they get rebuilt - they run for hours and hours, i'd say that is very reliable. Lifespan and reliability are two entirely different matters, which one are you and the original poster talking about?

What on earth makes you think that a B18C7 is more inclined to get to 9K than a B16A. It's got over 10% more stroke for starters and doesn't have much fancy business to make a difference except valve-train, which certainly isn't "quite abit" for a second hand set of ITR's to go into the B16A head.

Stock B16A > Stock B18C > Stock B18CR

All will net you near enough the same max power (especially if you want to spend a few dollars on new cams), needing more boost on the B16A to do it obviously. The B16A is far cheaper to buy or replace, will give you better fuel economy, is lighter, comes in many cars and is very common. For the cost difference between a cheap B16A and a healthy B18CR you'd be close to enough to fully rebuild the B16A and make far more than the stock 1.8 would ever make.
    Last edited by string; 26-03-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    just rem that the type r has a redline of 8,500 where as the b16 redlines at 7,500.

its easier to make the type r rev higher than the b16, unless you start with a b16b, but for the cost its a waste.

There is no disputing that the b16 is much cheaper but the question here was which is more reliable. For making more power stock for stock the b18 all the way in terms of reliability.

b16 is certainly a cheaper option. Or do a b18 and if you blow it put a b16 head on it and get yourself the poor mans type r. It even has a lower compression to start with.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    when was the last time you heard an engine break because it was revving high

i've seen plenty of car engine blow up from being overrevved.

Lifespan and reliability
    The higher you rev the engine the less reliable it generally is, unless it was built for that purpose, and even then the higher RPM machines need more maintenance than a lower revving engine.

If your engine is not reliable how long is it gonna last before it throws a bearing or piston? lifespan and reliability go hand in hand
    Last edited by Limbo; 26-03-2008 at 11:56 AM.