Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

P-plater and DC5r

Hey guys, me and my bro are looking at buying a dc5r and was wondering if it's legal for a p-plater. I'm in victoria btw..

Member Array
    Car:
    09 jazz
    I think should be alright, I'm in QLD btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornzzz View Post
    Hey guys, me and my bro are looking at buying a dc5r and was wondering if it's legal for a p-plater. I'm in victoria btw..

i think it's illegal in VIC, Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic Type R (FN2R)
    i think it's illegal in VIC, Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're correct. In VIC, it's illegal for a P-Plater to drive an AU DC5R due to the power to weight ratio law.

The DC5R weighs 1160KG and has 147kW, therefore has 127kw p/ tonne, whereas the legal limit (in VIC) is 125kW/tonne.

And you can't add things to your DC5R to weight it down to reduce the power-to-weight as the police go by the figures of it coming out of the factory, which is 1160KG =(

(Source: http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/v...wcalc?OpenForm)
    Last edited by MMike; 26-03-2008 at 06:57 PM.

but isnt the new law no turbocharged, no supercharged, no v8s or above or high power v6s?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 2003
    i think thats in NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by kazam View Post
    lol give him a break, this is after all a forum and not just a giant search engine.. what are we gunna do when evry topic has been covered? disable posting and just have the search button there?

http://arrivealive.vic.gov.au/node/197

basically there just an add on to the existing law..
    whats the point in having a signature?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '11 Euro CU2
    uh o_O" no wonder i havent seen any dc5r wif p-plate damn these power to weight ratio ><"

ive seen a few fair.. i actually think cops rather pull over a car with a body kit and rims then a car thats illegal to drive

I swear to god, do police even bother checking the cars P Platers drive? When I go around Melb uni sometimes I see a P plated boxter and e46 m3. Yes you heard that right, e46 m3 with a p plate sticker on the window. WTF?

yeah a friend of mine drives a porsche cayenne never been pulled over :S

Guys i found the answer.. THx omgitsmatt for that web.. i shall copypaste the quote from there..

However, if a probationary driver with a pre-July 2007 licence has a car that does not meet the power to weight restrictions, but it does comply with the new high powered vehicle restrictions effective from July 2007, then the probationary driver may drive the car..

So in other words, the power to weight ratio is totally SCRAPPED, just for victoria though..

@ curik, i think the police just aims for people with jap cars p-platers as it's often easier to mod the car and therefore easier to go over the limit..
    Last edited by bjornzzz; 27-03-2008 at 09:56 AM.