Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus

DIY: OMG my vtec isnt working, signal check light

So one day i wanted to check if my vtac was working, i was really bored. So i pulled apart my vtac solenoid...seemed to be ok. Then someone told me the signal from the ecu is 12volts when vtac is on....so here is a light to check that the signal is being sent to the vtac solenoid.......yo.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

This was a pretty ghetto 10 minute version. This is what i did and it worked, i am sure that you can it in a better way if you have more time.

If you are not sure about cutting wires and stripping wires, i can write a DIY for that too.

Aim: Check if signal is being sent to vtac solenoid
    Required: 5w, 12v globe. Speaker wire. Zip tie. Electrical tape. Wire cutters.
    Steps:

1 - Find the vtac solenoid.

2 - Disconnect the signal wire that leads into the vtac solenoid. I accidentally pulled the entire wire out of the connector. This is ok, as it slides back in easily. This gave me a very easy connector to play with.

3 - Attach one end of the speaker wire to this connector. I happened to already have a metal connector on one end of the speaker wire, so i ziptied this to wire on the car. If you dont have the metal connector, just strip some wire and zip tie it on.

4 - Now that that is secure, run the length of speaker wire out of the engine bay and into the drivers cockpit and attach the 5w 12v bulb to one end. Attach another length of speaker wire about 2 metres long to be safe to the other end as done.

5 - run the other end out of the passanger side door, and tie it around the negative terminal on the battery.

6 - Now go warm up the car, and take it for a spin. When vtac is supposed to come on, the light will come on instead. At least you know that the solenoid is recieving ecu signal.

If you wish, this can easily be turned into a VTEC light, but just pulling a signal from the wire into the vtec solenoid, rather than disconnecting it all together. Of course you should then run both the +ve and -ve wire through the firewall and not around the car, that would be too ghetto. ALso, mount the globe properly.

Note - i think that the 5w, 12 volt globes have +'ve and -'ve terminals, so if the light is not coming on, check this. Also check all of your connections, and make sure the bulb is not blown.

references:also for future references, you can refer to these documents.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16083
    installing a vtec light

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...highlight=vtec
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...=vtec+solenoid
    http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=164863
    vtac trouble shooting.
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If it is an incandescent bulb like in your pic, there is no positive or negative.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    If it is an incandescent bulb like in your pic, there is no positive or negative.
    ah yes, thats right, i used an LED last time and it crapped me up the wall.

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Should pull the pin out of the top grey plug as well,then push the 2 pins back together & wrap your wire around that exposed connection.

At least the vtec will still engage as well while your driving(if its workin) & please insulate all the exposed connections as well with a bit of tape.

Could use these pics as well for a "why wont my car start/battery wont charge" thread........ffs man,clean those battery terminals one day!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Thanks for the info man

Just did to test and see if my VTec was working and yup she's working...

Though It was much simpler to run one speak wire through the firewall and avoid the whole wire running round the outside of the car thing lol
    Last edited by Lukezen27; 26-01-2008 at 04:14 PM.
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    man thats ghetto hard !
    but good effort
    to you

OzHONDA FTL

NICE! Works fine ; vtec light BUT VERRY VERRY GETTO

Good One BUNGSAI ! Thumps up!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Maxi Cab
    Nice work

and

you just DIY'd a DO-LUCK Vtec Gauge for 20 cents hahahahaha

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    i should sell my vtec light.

Member Array
    Car:
    Maxi Cab
    I will offer u 25 cents LOL...

u can then make 5 cents profit hahahahha..

WOOT A DEAL MATE...!!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX
    Isnt it easier if just take it for a spin ... n rev it all the way 2 6k rpm... n the vtec will kick in... by then u know its working fine ???
    Any1 has a 2nd hand upper front n rear strut bar for a 88 ef crx for sale ? PM me plz...

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    SIGNAL check light.