Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DC2R gearbox problem..

hey guys i currently have a DC2R and had my gearbox re-done in Nov last yr.. i had problems with the gears and got the major faulty parts replaced. however the guy that was in charge of the repair suggested that since i was taking the gearbox out and have it inspected i should might as well replace other worned parts inside to make sure i wont have to take it out later down the track. so i went with his suggestions and got the whole gearbox fixed. and i have a 1 year warranty on the repairs. However currently i have experience some noise coming from the gearbox when driving at slow speed. for example if you are doing 40k/h in 5th gear and the rev is at about 2 - 2.5k, ..however if the it revs higher to 3 and above the sound goes away..... by the way the noise sounds like metal banging together or something like that and you can feel the vibration. it happens through-out all the gears..

has anyone experienced the same problem before or know what could be the cause??

do you guys think the fault should be covered as i have a 1 year warranty on the repairs.. ?

all info and suggestions greatly appreciated...

sai...

Was the clutch replace at the same time

its very hard to diagnose a sound via the net

best to get an educated opinion from a different source

good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    question: why is it in fifth when your only at 40km/h?
    the vibration thing/metal on metal sound (to me) is synonymous with being in a too high a gear at a low speed.

try gears 2 and 3 at 40km/h - do you still get the same results?

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    probly worn bearings

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    Quote Originally Posted by Icegroove View Post
    question: why is it in fifth when your only at 40km/h?
    the vibration thing/metal on metal sound (to me) is synonymous with being in a too high a gear at a low speed.

try gears 2 and 3 at 40km/h - do you still get the same results?
    smart man, try this out mate, try and gain momentum at the same speed in the other gears... 40km/h taking off in 5th is too slow.

try that and come back, if its still doing it, take it back to the bloke who did the repair work

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EF9
    Use your warranty!

thanks a lot guys.. i also had a new cushion button clutch put in aswell...

yep i know its a too high gear for that low speed.. if i was doin 40k at 2nd or 3rd.. it would not make the noise.. however it doesnt seem right because my bro in law has a DC2r as well and its fine with his... further more you can not start off in 2nd or 3rd gear... if u try.. you'll get the sound of metal clashing and vibration and then it'll stall... however this does not really matter cos i wouldnt be startin of in any gears besides first anyway..

wat i thought in the first place was that the bearings are gone but i have just fixed the gearbox and replace all things needed and worned and it has only been a couple of months good driving... however i think i might need to take it back to the place where i got it repaired to see if its covered under warranty.. by the way i paid $2700 for the previous gearbox rebuilt...
    Last edited by sai_vang; 13-04-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    from the sounds of it...5th gear at 40kmh will make those sounds that you're getting. I'm pretty sure even if you drove a DC2R brand new from factory..and you do that...it will still make the sound.

to me it sounds normal - but like others have said - if you are still worried take it back. Always better to get it checked out rather then something happen.

true.. i think i might take it back tomorrow.. anyway thanks a lot icegroove

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    the combo of it being too slow for the gear, with the clutch your using is whats making the metallic noises

so the clutch is a contributing matter towards the noise?
    by the way is that clutch healthy for the car..? can i get peoples point of view about the cushion button.. on my side i dont really know much about cars and parts... was suggested to me so i went along with it.... just realised it that before i change the clutch it hasnt had that problem..