Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK4
    Ok well after doing a lot of reading i'm going to tell him to stop being a tight arse and do a K swap. These motor's are unreal (why i'm getting a DC5S) but I thought they were far more expensive than they are. The car is nicely balanced as it is, just needs more power and it will be perfect.

So what else should I tell him to do when doing a K swap? Lightened flywheel and better clutch? Gearbox upgrades?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    boosted ek4....
    You'll still have abit of money to spend later.
    K is good but its still doesn;t compare with boost
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    K-swap!!

Even tho it eat urs 13k on K-swap, but dun forget, u can sell ur b-motor for at least 3-4k (2000 model). Overall, you are spending 9k.

If you want more torque, go for k24 and its much cheaper way of getting k.
    Or, you can go for aus dc5-R k20a2 which appear to be cheaper comparing to jdm dc5R, k20a which worth 8k itself.

Member Array
    Car:
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by outatime View Post
    bore/stroke and port polish the engine
    make the final drive ratio to be even on all gears
    replace ecu with hondata s200 and get it tuned by toda
    replace cams with ek9 or toda
    get new exedy heavy duty clutch and toda lightened flywheel
    get the latest Cusco coilovers
    replace oem seats with Recarro/Sparco/Bride seats
    get ek9 spoiler
    do a full ek9 facelift (headlights, grille, front bar, fenders, fog lights)
    get 6000k hi/low hid kit
    if anything is left, have the car resprayed
    optional - replace the block with a b20 so he'll get a b16/b20 hybrid
    sorry to say this but you sound pretty lost, what's "make the final drive ratio to be even on all gears"

how do you fit ek9 spoiler on a coupe? and being a coupe it's already face lifted...and finally what's the resrpay for? he wants performance not appearance...
    Last edited by xtercii; 17-06-2008 at 10:05 AM.

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    k swap?

wtf? Is that the only mod 'allowed' nowadays or something?

imo do a lil bit of work in each area; suspension, motor, brakes. Then the goal will be reached, better car overall.

if its 5 luggin, doesnt it already have larger than stock em1 brakes?
    oh wrd!

Quote Originally Posted by xtercii View Post
    sorry to say this but you sound pretty lost, what's "make the final drive ratio to be even on all gears"
    i'm just guessing here... but i THINK he means...

make all the gears a 4.7?.... even though thats the ratio

his mechanic was probably explaining lowering finial drive to him and he just retained the number 4.7 lol

but yea, i would like do this too in the near future as long as $$$ permits.

when people are talking about lowering finial drives and such and mention 4.7 around here they're normally talking about dropping in a ITR 98 spec gearbox which comes with LSD of course, so clear advantages there.

when u lower ur final drive and opt for a close gear box ur basically using ur rev range in a shorter distance? (if that makes sense)

ie wen u shift ur rev's will fall right? and lower the rpm = less power cuz ur out of ur powerband. so if ur rev's are higher all round then u'd always b in a better rpm. (i'm pretty bad at explaining this too so it seems lol)

inshort - increase acceleration not power

But yea, in my opinion i'd tell ur friend to use some of his 10K to fix his comp and do some research for himself. No one else can tell him what to do.

they can only suggest and i'm sure u'd get pretty tired of pitching ideas to him cuz he'll probably reject 90% of it and then OH! in hindsight that was a good idea what was it again? naaah... wait... what about this.... uh.. well..

lol.. you get the idea

Don't set a 10K limit.... like everyone here has suggested a K swap but awww... it's slightly more than 10K so can't do it right?

Just research and think whats the best mod for himself and then the rest will come afterwards. there's no need to rush (ie getting his buddy to post for him cuz his comp is temporarily out of action is kinda rushing it - not attacking you ur a good friend)

but yea... there's always the standard i/h/e, ecu+tune. throw in a fly n' HD clutch and i think he'd b happy.
    Last edited by 94dc2tegz; 17-06-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    Quote Originally Posted by xtercii View Post

how do you fit ek9 spoiler on a coupe? and being a coupe it's already face lifted...and finally what's the resrpay for? he wants performance not appearance...
    am i? ek vtir is a hatch not a coupe.

respray is optional if anything is left.

Quote Originally Posted by 94dc2tegz View Post

his mechanic was probably explaining lowering finial drive to him and he just retained the number 4.7 lol

when people are talking about lowering finial drives and such and mention 4.7 around here they're normally talking about dropping in a ITR 98 spec gearbox which comes with LSD of course, so clear advantages there.

when u lower ur final drive and opt for a close gear box ur basically using ur rev range in a shorter distance? (if that makes sense)

ie wen u shift ur rev's will fall right? and lower the rpm = less power cuz ur out of ur powerband. so if ur rev's are higher all round then u'd always b in a better rpm. (i'm pretty bad at explaining this too so it seems lol)
    thank you for the explanation! that's what i'm tryin to say but couldnt find the right words! lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    For 10k, this is simply my 2c, get the CTR cams from a B16B, adjustable cam gears, Type R valves and springs, CTR Pistons, A heavy duty clutch and lightened flywheel, Toda Headers, New exhaust sytem to suit (most decent muffler shops can make you one for a fraction of the complete items forsale from Japan and to proper EPA laws and sound dB levels). Go and then get this all tuned and installed. Some comfy seats with good bolster support, not saying ITR/CTR recaros as they are dear and prob as old as the car imo, you want something newer, get that mod plated and based if you want to carry passengers in the back again, I would suggest removing the rear seats and belts and runing harnesses to your new front seats and seeing one of the hundreds of engineers and getting it mod plated. Even with all this you'd have some change left for some decent rubber for your tyres and possibly some decent 16" wheels. As for the Kswap it's unreal, seen some very nice examples around and it's what I'd love to do, 10k is the wrong budget try 18k. $7500 for a good half cut from a Type R/S Integra then around 8k for the right parts then you need it all tuned and fitted.
    Last edited by EK1.6LCIV; 17-06-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by outatime View Post
    am i? ek vtir is a hatch not a coupe
    Read the thread.

The car is a coupe not a hatch and yes it's a VTi-R.

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    Quote Originally Posted by SiR CRX View Post
    Read the thread.

The car is a coupe not a hatch and yes it's a VTi-R.
    enuf said. well scrap these from my list then:

get ek9 spoiler
    do a full ek9 facelift (headlights, grille, front bar, fenders, fog lights)
    if anything is left, have the car resprayed

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by 94dc2tegz View Post

inshort - increase acceleration not power

But yea, in my opinion i'd tell ur friend to use some of his 10K to fix his comp and do some research for himself. No one else can tell him what to do.

they can only suggest and i'm sure u'd get pretty tired of pitching ideas to him cuz he'll probably reject 90% of it and then OH! in hindsight that was a good idea what was it again? naaah... wait... what about this.... uh.. well..

lol.. you get the idea

Don't set a 10K limit.... like everyone here has suggested a K swap but awww... it's slightly more than 10K so can't do it right?

Just research and think whats the best mod for himself and then the rest will come afterwards. there's no need to rush (ie getting his buddy to post for him cuz his comp is temporarily out of action is kinda rushing it - not attacking you ur a good friend)

but yea... there's always the standard i/h/e, ecu+tune. throw in a fly n' HD clutch and i think he'd b happy.

lol i understood that, in a gearbox you have your gears and then theres the final drive, which is this massive gear piece in the gearbox, changing that brings all the ratios closer if that makes sense

i.e your 2nd gear ends at a lower speed in a 4.7 fd than previously with a 4.4 fd
    so you get better acceleration at the sacrifice of your top speed

i hope i made some sense

alternatively you can change just a gear ratio which is those offered by Mfactory

and why ppl opt for a whole gearbox instead is because it comes with LSD and the cost to get a final drive + get lsd + labour exceeds the cost of a b18cR box which is the only one with a higher drive anyway the ek9's have the same ratio as the ek4's just with lsd [99 spec could be different???]

anyway with 10k, just spend money on susssy first, drive the shit out of the b16a, if/when it dies or once he gets a hang of things then get a b18cR unless hes one hell of a driver in the first place, but i'ld do that if i were him
    Team SpeedStar

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Jazz VTI...
    Get b18CR.. say $7k installed.. Perth rates.. Sell ur motor perth rates for bout $2.5k-$3k.. i tink i noe this car.. b16a is under 100km so its gd..

then use remain $3k to get toda headers, toda cat($1.5k-$2k) to match the catback already on.. Sussy is done so dun bother.. Do a nice CAI (Cheap $150 one will do) if u dun have any... And tune with a standalone ECU ($1k+$500).. tat will be about it..

with this stuff done.. mid 13s is doable..
    JDM Ek4 Squad Perth..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    Fact is you should get over ur EK4, cos its a POS FWD and its in the worse colour ever released.
    Get a real car then start bragging.