Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX

Brake master cyclinder problem

recently i swap to a 15/16 brake master cyclinder into my crx... n nowadays when the car stop at a traffic light.. i would just step on the brakes rather than the handbrake... but when i step on the brakes... the brakes pedal will slowly creep to the floor.... does tat mean my BMC r rooted... the piston is gone ??

Any help r appreciate...

Cheers
    Any1 has a 2nd hand upper front n rear strut bar for a 88 ef crx for sale ? PM me plz...

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    does it happen constantly or just on the odd occassion?

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    losing any fluid?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX
    constantly been like tis ord... for the past weekk.....n i dun think i'm loosing at fluid....

if th pedal sinks down further past and dosent firm up then the cylinder bore is shot or the seals are gone , regardless you need to rebuild it or replace

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    did u bleed it fully?

also did u bench bleed the MC before u installed it,or just put it in & bleed the whole system?

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    i had the same problem. until i changed my whole master cylinder along with the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by CRXer View Post
    did u bleed it fully?
    good point
    when installing you should "bench bleed" the master cylinder before hooking up the two lines-once with fluid then bleed te entire system as normal
    probably a big gulp of air still inside the mastercylinder

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    yep,take the MC off again,make sure its level on a bench or in a vice or something & then bleed it before u install it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX
    erm... not too sure whether did it bench bleed... as it was done at a mechanic workshop... i'll double check with him again... 2 confirm stuff...

n wats a bench bleed ? n how u do tat... i know how to bleed the whole brake system... but not sure bout bench bleed... any tips ?

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    u bench bleed because the MC sits at an angle when installed in the car,so it makes it difficult to get all the air out.

just take it out & make sure the MC is held close to level,then just push the rod slowly in & out,while making sure the fluid is kept topped up,to get the air bubbles out.Then install it back to the car with fluid topped up,then do a regular bleed on the whole system.

just dont push the rod all the way fully into the cylinder, as it will be going to places it has never been before(except if uve been pushing your foot all the way to the floor already) & u could damage the seals on scores or burrs inside the bore that have always been there previously.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX
    thx for the info guys... i'll double check to see wats going on.... much appreciate for the help...!!