Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open header

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz GE '08

Open header

hey guyz..
    i've been hearing tat ppl r usin open headers in the car..
    1 tat i've seen in another forum is a white eg with open header, juz goin on the drag strip..

the thing tat i wanna ask is, if i wanna do open header, do i need to get specialized header i.e. toda open header (a friend told me, toda has 1).. or can i juz take off my stock cat converter n alakazaamm i got an open header..

i also saw on youtube tat in the US, ppl have d16y8, do open headers..
    n another thing is.. will it ruin the engine if i do open header n use it for track day ONLY??

for all of ur comments, thank you in advance..
    im curious bout tis issue.. THX AGAIN!!

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    other than being highly illegal you'd go deaf just driving at a slow pace anywhere

open headers is exactly as it suggests, nothing connected to the headers

admittedly i've done it once to get it home and get it to the exhaust shop the next day but never again will i put myself through that again :\

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Tat is mad sik! Youz shud def do it!
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Lol, read the actual post. He is referring this to DRAG and TRACK, not daily use.

Seeing that Drag and Track is usually private property, I believe that you are fine to run open headers. However, be wary as the heat from the exhaust might damage stuff under the car (hence why the exhaust goes all the way out to the back of the car).

You could always get a pipe to dump out the side of the car. that way its not just dumping to no mans land with possibilities of damaging components and leaking fumes into the cabin...

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz GE '08
    im sry i forgot to mention tat i drive an EH civic Si with stock engine, d16a8..
    anywayz, back to the topic..

so if i wanna use it for track day (not drag strip), SiReal, JasonGilholme n claymore, u guyz r suggesting to use a straight through pipe n not juz an open header?? cool!!
    i guess i'll try to get myself a straight through pipe juz for track days lawl!!

aside frm givin some damage to the underbelly of the car, will open headers and/or straight through xhaust give damage to the engine itself?? coz i asked my mechanic n he said, it might shorten the engine's life, as it's gonna work much "harder" n its gonna drink fuel like water.. =P

thx again guyz!!

Quote Originally Posted by vinnY View Post
    other than being highly illegal you'd go deaf just driving at a slow pace anywhere

open headers is exactly as it suggests, nothing connected to the headers

admittedly i've done it once to get it home and get it to the exhaust shop the next day but never again will i put myself through that again :\
    as SiReal said, i'm gonna only do it on the track.. so no harm done to the locals
    n yes.. i guess it's gonna be louder than a hard rock metal band lawl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zdster View Post
    Tat is mad sik! Youz shud def do it!
    LAWL.. i wanna see other ppl's opinion 1st before i do it lol.. but thx..
    Last edited by Research; 14-08-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    fuel consumption probably going to be crappy too

any reason why you'd want to run open headers on an otherwise stock d16a8 other than having a loud mofo car?

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Open headers will work fine, BUT if you disconnect just before the CAT you may get a Malfunction light depending on your model car and engine. If you are just worried about heat don't worry about it if you do it only at the drag strip as the engine is on only a few minutes. On a road circuit you may get some damage undercar as you run with the heat for longer amounts of time and may need to add a straight pipe directing the exhaust out the side
    yep.. depends if its obd2.. I THINK the obd2 models have 2 o2 sensors, 1 on the headers and one the actual cat.

i also THINK it should be fine in terms of heat of the heat shield under the shifter is still in place.

did it once on my sr20 minus heat shield (as the exhaust shop didn't put it back on) and you can feel the shifter getting hot!
    Last edited by dsp26; 14-08-2008 at 11:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    nope my ek4 only has one o2 sensor on the headers itself(obd2a)
    had to drive with the windows down though, don't want to faint inside the car because of the fumes
    no heat shield under my car so it did get a bit toasty down there

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    ^^lol.. so the fumes leaked past your shift boot? isn't the un-catalysed fumes harmful to lungs? btw did you hear the good news with your cams? pm me
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    yep, sure are
    wasn't for long though, got it to the exhaust shop quick smart

its too noisy to drive with open headers.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R