Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 Civic 3 Door Hatch

Head unit fuse keeps blowing

Hi all,

I bought a 97 civic a few months ago and it came with a sony head unit. The car battery would drain very easily and many times I had to jump start it.

I worked out it was the head unit and pulled it out and left it empty for a while and the car would start everytime.

On the weekend I bought a new Pioneer headunit. I wired it all up but it wouldn't turn on. The clock was off as well so I replaced the headunit fuse underneath the engine bay and the headunit and clock came on and worked for a few seconds before the fuse blew again. I went and replaced it but the new fuse blew straight away.

Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    check the permanent power wire behind the head unit (usually a white/blue wire) is connected to the right input on the headunit & also not grounded to another connection where all the wires are joined.

OK, is any of your wires touching any part of the metal when you replace the fuse?

probably somewhere is shorting or there is a leakage

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    check earth wire
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
    My silly 17 yo thoughts from 3 years ago "hmm my tyres are bald, ahh well race cars run slick tyres, itll give me more grip"

Member Array
    Car:
    CE Lancer
    Similar to what serpo said check that you have a clean earth.

What you will find is that you have either connected the ground to a bad ground or the other factor could be that you have connected the illumination line to the 12v rail also. This will over volt the stereo, causing the unit to blow, or in your case the fuse to blow first.

Grab a multi meter and check all your wiring.

If all else fails take it to an installer. They can usually spot the problem in a few seconds of looking at the loom itself.

It may cost you but shouldnt be too expensive.
    See a good post? - PQ it

What is it that keeps drawing me back to Hondas??

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    is ur fuse big enough? check that, or maybe there is a touching wire.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    sounds like he/she has spent some money with a shop getting it 'properly' installed as there hasnt been a reply as to say if its been fixed or not
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Don't cha hate dat

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    i hate that too... and trying to find the problem with taking all the elect tape off and such is sucky.

but yep check no wires are crossed or touch other wires, check correct fuse installed and see if you can get a multimeter there to check right voltage and amps are going through.

Member Array
    Car:
    1995 Honda Integra DC4
    if some most of the problem is related to the fuse, then go to autobarn and buy a distributor.

mine essentially did the same because i had too much power running for what it could take, so every few months the fuse would just blow. therefore to save yourself from ripping out a million panels under the engine bay, pick up a distributor.

Member Array
    Car:
    CE Lancer
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyd89 View Post
    if some most of the problem is related to the fuse, then go to autobarn and buy a distributor.

mine essentially did the same because i had too much power running for what it could take, so every few months the fuse would just blow. therefore to save yourself from ripping out a million panels under the engine bay, pick up a distributor.
    WTF!!!

That sounds like a band aid fix to me.

The head units area rated to handle up to 17volts on bench testing and 14v real world.

If you are blowing fuses because of over surging you have a lot bigger problems than the ones a distro block can cover up.

Do it right FIRST TIME and you wont need to rip out a million panels either.
    See a good post? - PQ it

What is it that keeps drawing me back to Hondas??