Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, EK1

DC2r - installing apexi VAFC II & apexi itc

Sorry if this has come up before but i have searched itc (ignition timing controller) on this forum and i couldn't really find much results at all.

My main question is, is it worth putting a VAFC II and apexi itc in my 1999 DC2 type r (1999).
    I have a shortram and a cannon as a tip, which are the only mods on the car so far, i was told that it would be possible that i may be losing power if its not tuned. I am certain that the vafc II would be worth getting but is the advanced ignition timing worth spending money on and how much output would i actually get out of the vafc and itc or both.

sorry if any noob questions came up but i just got my dcr like a month ago

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, EK1
    some help please??
    any help appreciated...
    btw i probably will set vtec to 5.5k rather than 5.7k.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20Z2 / EGB18C
    Hi xtan...

to be very honest with you...trying to answer 2 out of 3 of ur questions:

1) Do you intend to continue to mod your car in the future? or near future?

if yes, then don't bother with a VAFC i/ii/neo ....
    Such piggyback have only limited capabilities. (up till 8000rpm tuning, etc...).
    and it cost you (guesstimate - $350 for the device, $100 for installation, $200 for dyno tuning) and tat's it. You can keep spending 200 on dyno tuning with every mod, but after while, the performance or tuning capabilities saturate.

Spending a grand up front for a decent computer like hondata, pfc will be a more cost efficient in the long run. I know this cause currently, i'm running a NEO and sigh...lol

2) setting the vtec should be done by a pro tuner (dyno best, or street tune). Pre/post mature vtec may give you no power gains or worse still, power loss. I know this again, cause Indy from ISMR showed me....lol

3) as for the ignition timing...i think its juz twisting the dizzy in degrees...tat i'm not too sure...ahhaah

hope this helps

Chockz
    that is quite abunai....

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, EK1
    thanks... but i don't plan to do any more major mods... possibly headers

Member Array
    Car:
    K20Z2 / EGB18C
    if u already have the VAFC, hook it up urself from the wiring diagram...quite easy...
    then send it to the dyno. If u're in sydney. I went to ISMR. Indy was nice...didn't had any major gains. Max 103 on stock B18C2, short ram, 421xforce headers + twinloop. that was then. =)

hope something helped.
    Last edited by chockz; 29-08-2008 at 03:42 AM. Reason: english..OMG
    that is quite abunai....

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, EK1
    i have a VAFC II buying off a friend next week, don't think i will bother with itc.
    I live in Perth W.A long way away, but before i get it dyno tuned i would have to mod it a little more so i dont have to dyno it more and more to waste more money.
    e.g i only have a tip on exhaust, i should at least change the piping too before i tune.
    Not sure if i will with headers cos no point changing unless i go for toda headers which are abit too expensive for me currently.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20Z2 / EGB18C
    i guess there are notable tuners in WA. Nothing to worry.
    DC2R in itself is quite good.

Maybe full exhaust system...intake...then tune ...then suspension...and you're pretty much done for mild tune. The intake manifold of DC2R is good..unlike...mine..sigh..

cheers
    that is quite abunai....

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, EK1
    i'm not sure about doing an intake cause of lag... the piping will be long.. best thing to do is create a path for the air by the aluminium spring piping. so i will get low end and a little better top end revs.
    full exhaust and the cold air and i should be good to go, beat most friends hondas which are modified a fair bit but power2weight becomes shithouse for them

edit: Anyway thanks Chockz for your input and it really does kinda help.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    i wouldnt bother with apexi itc

if anything like chockz said, do your mods first and then tune vafc............
    but at least get a cat back exhaust if you dont wanna spend money on headers and then an intake, or watever custom item u wanna make, then tune...............

a vafc will be fine for your mods.................however u claimed u want to lower vtec to 5.5 instead of standard 5.7.......................unfortunatly, u cant choose where you want it to be, the engine on the dyno will tell you where it wants to be................some cars as low as 5..................i now my dc2r was at 5.2 with x-force headers and exhaust and custom intake with vafc.....................it all depends on the engine.............good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, EK1
    thanks mate.

edit: futhur more, does anyone know how much of a increase in power i would expect out of a tune with vafc 2 ?
    Last edited by xtan; 29-08-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    people say between 8-12 kw.....................

Member Array
    Car:
    K20Z2 / EGB18C
    i didn't get much - 8kw atw....700kw at the steeringwheel..lol

i got fuel economy, linear power,
    that is quite abunai....