Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too much sound?

Member Array
    Car:
    Ford Lazer

too much sound?

hi guys
    im abit new to the audio thing
    a mate of mine asked me to ask any1 if they could help him with this problem
    this is wat he has
    alpine head unit
    front splits
    rear splits
    alpine sub
    2 amps
    HID

thats about all i think
    PROBLEM: pumping music, it makes his lights flicker, like power is gna die out
    anything to bump up the power to control this? sounds good and all, but sht my pants knowing his car mite turn off on ya
    we tried to upgrade the battery to something larger,and thats been running in his car lately, but still does the flickering (all lights, not jst the headlamps, like cluster and shit)

hope there are some electricians out there to help
    thanks guys
    TERRY

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    sounds like he needs a professional to have a look at it to diagnose what the problem is and what he needs to fix it...
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

sounds like he needs a capacitor
    they are ranked by farads... the higher the less voltage fluctuation.
    i think generally it even outs the current draw by storing current inside the capacitor.

try a Reponse 2 farad capacitor from Jaycar good value for money
    linked:
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=595
    Last edited by ng-r; 04-09-2008 at 05:22 PM.

lol .. wont need a cap ..

friend of mine had same problems .. check all grounds .. see if sufficient thickness of ground..

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Dont run negative straight to the battery.
    if hes not doin that.
    then try do a load test on the alternator.
    it might b near its end.

i have 4 amps. sub is 1500 watts rms (not that its at that peak all the time) but 1/2 volume and nothing flickers.
    everything has seperate ground. and i have a dry cell in with it. im guessing the battery helped it since dry cell is quick charge/discharge.

check all connections. make sure any ground has bare metal contact. (not painted metal.)

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    check the battery, alt. then wiring.

can you possibly list the exact specifications of his gear, just to see if he's wiring is limiting anything.. oh get specs on his wiring too.

or just see a pro to see what the problem is in 5 minutes

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport
    you don't have enough wattage for your lights to be dimming, it sound like you may need thicker power/ground wires
    Capacitors are a waste of money, upgrade your battery and alternator first- a capacitor will just put more strain on your stock charging system

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    caps are not a waste of money, they re-inforce the electrical system of a car... think of caps in the same way you think of a battery, they hold power and let it out as the car/system needs it...

also got nothing to do with wattage, more than likely it is a grounding issue, DIYer's run into these problems all the time...
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    8Th Gen Civic VTI
    I had a similar problem, I put in an Eqarthing Kit, and a Capacitor, and it fixed this.

hapens with high end audio systems.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM DC5R
    Honestly guys, capacitors are great, but even competing i found they are not the best thing. I know its a bit of a sting, but if u plan on having a decent system that "pumps", save the money from a cap and do the smart thing and buy yourself a decent deep cycle battery (something you can flatten and recharge multiple times) such as Optima or Odyssey, making sure that it has sufficient CCA (cold cranking amps) for your system... Try goin for a min of 650CCA. At the end of the day, capacitors are not a waste of time, but it stands to reason that your audio system is still hungry, so with or without a cap, your stock charging system will struggle (caps still need to get their power from somewhere right guys?) So best bet, save for a deep cycle Optima or Odyssey.
    Good luck.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    8Th Gen Civic VTI
    Yeah Typ32 is rite, i forgot to mention when i did the earthing upgrade i also put in an Optima D34 Batt with 750CCA and deep cycle.
    Defenatly makes a difference

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    big battery, upgrade earth wiring in engine bay, and even alt to batt charge wire.

dont bother with caps on sub amps, put them on the amps for the midbass/highs

itll help smooth out power ripples that can fcuk with the sound
    to see all of my build, checkout