Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noises in the Diff or Tranny

Hi guys & gals, i've just joined this forum today and have been reading for the past few hours..... It's great.
    I've always had a Honda(90' Accord EXi) but just recently, say.... 2 months ago i bought my DC2 ITR . Its an amazing car to say the least
    After a few days i discovered a wierd noise comming from the front.
    When i first test drove the car i never heard this wierd noise cos it only happened when its warmed up. Its was a very funny noise and very hard to describe and the best description i can give is a sound like the tires rubbing the guards when you're turning in motion. At first i thought it was this so i checked it out and saw no signs of damage on my tires whatsoever.
    Anyway after more days of driving i experimented on different things and found out a few more things about it........ it only happens when -
    [a]-car is warmed up(driven for at least 5 minutes)
    [b]-there is force (eg. full lock going at 20kmph clutch in there is no sound......clutch out and a bit of gas the sound appears......the more gas, the louder the sound)
    There was no indication of any damage or the noise getting worse..... just a butt ugly and annoying sound.

I took it to "Technik Tuning" in Thornbury to check things out.
    They gave my Queen a very thorough inspection and found no apparent problems with her. Finally they gave me 2 options - 1-new gear oil 2-take everything apart(expensive)
    obviously i went for the gear oil.(Castrol high quality suitable for LSD he told me)

Hmm :-( the good news is that the "rubbing" noise has disappeared.
    Very happy and satisfied and then only to be disappointed again 2 days later from the appearance of a "CLICKING" noise GRRRRRR

this clicking noise will click once when i accelerate & click again when i decelerate........so therefore it will click at each accel and decel i perform.
    was just wishing someone in this wonderful forum has any idea on what is going on with my Diff/Tranny, any ideas, sugestions or anything of help would be greatly appreciated.
    My integra is perfect in every way exept for just an annoying clicking noise when i accel and decel.
    i now drive it daily and try to forget the noise, but when i have enough $$$$ i will get the problem fixed properly.

Ohh and the harder i gun it, the louder the click

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    the click could be any part for the front suspention, front brakes, or in the box itself, ill tend to thing more suspention/calipers, only takes one loose part to take the slack of take offs and brakings to make noise, have your front suspention checked and tightened, also have your brakes looked at.
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 10-03-2009 at 07:32 AM.

There are 3 main areas for a noisy gearbox:-
    1: Mounting bolts are loose
    2: Insufficient or Incorrect Lubricant
    3: This is the worst, Internal gearbox Fault

One more thing with the noise. does it come when you only turn sharply, if so you might have a worn CV joint.

Thanks for the fast and thoughtful replies guys
    I did get those guys at Technik Tuning to look at every aspect of the car that would make that noise (ie. brakes, suspension & machanical) before they sugested me to change the tranny oil. I will take your advise and bring it to a reputable brake and suspension expert just to double check things.
    As for the rubbing noise when i turn, it has disappeared after the tranny fluid change. insufficient, i don't think so.......after i got it back from Technik Tuning, i jacked it up and checked the tranny fluid myself. Incorrect, maybe..... but the new fluid did make the rubbing noise when i turn disappear and the clicking appears only after the fluid change. Its definitly not mounting bolts cos its not that sort of noise, plus i regard cv joints highly improbable as the click comes on every accel and decel, not a full lock cv click noise......i know that noise. no noises occur when i turn, only when i accel and decel.
    Keep the ideas commin guys.....THANKS

Worse case scenario, how much am i looking for a brand spanking new ITR tranny and diff???
    And second hand price? Where would i find a new one? Where would i find an old one??

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    you would find a new one from your local Honda dealer, they would have it assembled for you or somthing, or they would even have Honda Australia source one for you. $$$$$ though

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Had a click/clang noise on my VTiR Teg at low speed - accel & decel. The RACV'd checked it out and said "it's normal with high KM vehicles". Wear & tear on drive shafts or CV joints or both.
    Had 110KM on the clock then. But it could happen sooner, if the car was trashed.
    However if your noise comes in at any speed, it probably relates to something else.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger
    Worse case scenario, how much am i looking for a brand spanking new ITR tranny and diff???
    And second hand price? Where would i find a new one? Where would i find an old one??
    DON'T BUY S/H TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT COULD BE IN A WORSE CONDITION THAN YOURS.
    GET YOUR TRANNY FIXED BY A HONDA DEALER.
    IT WILL PROBABLY COST YOU LESS THAN A S/H TRANNY FROM WRECKERS.

Yeah, my DC2 ITR is absolute pristine. inside and out. Words just cannot describe how good a condition its in..... just an annoying click, thats all

Member Array
    Car:
    GP Racer
    *i didnt mean to intentionally resurrect this thread - but i from the sounds of it - your lsd could have been damaged ?*

Am curious to know what transmission oil did you use which "removed" the noise ?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    Hi guys & gals, i've just joined this forum today and have been reading for the past few hours..... It's great.
    I've always had a Honda(90' Accord EXi) but just recently, say.... 2 months ago i bought my DC2 ITR . Its an amazing car to say the least
    After a few days i discovered a wierd noise comming from the front.
    When i first test drove the car i never heard this wierd noise cos it only happened when its warmed up. Its was a very funny noise and very hard to describe and the best description i can give is a sound like the tires rubbing the guards when you're turning in motion. At first i thought it was this so i checked it out and saw no signs of damage on my tires whatsoever.
    Anyway after more days of driving i experimented on different things and found out a few more things about it........ it only happens when -
    [a]-car is warmed up(driven for at least 5 minutes)
    [b]-there is force (eg. full lock going at 20kmph clutch in there is no sound......clutch out and a bit of gas the sound appears......the more gas, the louder the sound)
    There was no indication of any damage or the noise getting worse..... just a butt ugly and annoying sound.

I took it to "Technik Tuning" in Thornbury to check things out.
    They gave my Queen a very thorough inspection and found no apparent problems with her. Finally they gave me 2 options - 1-new gear oil 2-take everything apart(expensive)
    obviously i went for the gear oil.(Castrol high quality suitable for LSD he told me)

Hmm :-( the good news is that the "rubbing" noise has disappeared.
    Very happy and satisfied and then only to be disappointed again 2 days later from the appearance of a "CLICKING" noise GRRRRRR

this clicking noise will click once when i accelerate & click again when i decelerate........so therefore it will click at each accel and decel i perform.
    was just wishing someone in this wonderful forum has any idea on what is going on with my Diff/Tranny, any ideas, sugestions or anything of help would be greatly appreciated.
    My integra is perfect in every way exept for just an annoying clicking noise when i accel and decel.
    i now drive it daily and try to forget the noise, but when i have enough $$$$ i will get the problem fixed properly.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Accord EURO
    im getting clicks too