Thread: New Shocks !

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000

New Shocks !

hey guys
    my dc2 has now done 181,000 km's and I have not touched the springs or shocks on them.
    Its been starting to get really bumpy and the ride is quite harsh..
    Ive got potenza's 205/40/17 wheels/tyres so that could be a reason but Ive had those for a while now and the harshness has never been 'that' noticeable.
    What's a good indicator regarding when to get new sprigns/shocks ?
    I was thinking upgrading to dc2r sussy.
    Any recommendations ?
    Budget is $500

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    If the shocks are stock and original, i would imagine the ride getting more softer(shocks are usually blown) as opposed to the ride being more harsh..

Good indicator is to visually inspect the shocks, and see if there is any sign of oil around the shock most likely repsresnting a blown shock. I've also read somewhere, when the shocks are cold (when the car has been sitting for a good couple of hours or over night), push down on the corners of your car....and if takes more then 2 bounces for the car to settle to a level position again.. then you should get it inspected.

DC2R sussy upgrade will be very good upgrade for any stock DC2, it will be impossible to get a new sussy setup for less than $500.....but for that price you may be able to source a clean set of dc2r sussy components, while your upgrading the shocks and springs, you might want to look into the rear sway , and lower tie bar off a dc2r too.
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by CB7_OWNER View Post
    I've also read somewhere, when the shocks are cold (when the car has been sitting for a good couple of hours or over night), push down on the corners of your car....and if takes more then 2 bounces for the car to settle to a level position again.. then you should get it inspected.
    ive tried it, this method is bs. i need to be super strong like superman on steroids drank a litre of v+red bull+mothers concoction to be able to push the car corner down. i have hatch, making things even worse cos to push my back corner... meaning i have to push the rear part of roof to push the rear corner down.

unless i stand up on top of the car.. but im scared of breaking things and bending panels.. so

just from my experience.. it'll be awesome to know some other method to check sussy condition though

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    open the boot and sit on the edge. then bounce yourself up and down.. that will push the car down.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    i think a good indication is the bumpyness of your ride when driving.

i kno with a couple cars ive had which have had the shocks gone, make going over bumps painful, sounds like the car is going to rip apart, also going over humps, it seems like you going to bounce over them... hehhe

hope it helps

Harshness increases with blown dampers, just a different kind of harshness to overly stiff suspension.

The 'bounce test' will show up dampers that are totally blown, but dampers that are only partially stuffed can often still pass the test, it's not a definitive indicator.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    i think a good indication is the bumpyness of your ride when driving.

i kno with a couple cars ive had which have had the shocks gone, make going over bumps painful, sounds like the car is going to rip apart, also going over humps, it seems like you going to bounce over them... hehhe

hope it helps
    thats exactly how it feels !! my ass is going to be rock solid by the time i end of getting new suspension lol..

besides upgrading sussy, will changing tyres so something like 215 or 205/50/17 improve the harshness compared to what i got now (205/40/17).

tyres will need changing soon anyway so I might aswell look into it..

thanks guys for all your help !

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    Dont make the tyre profile any bigger, it will really through out your speedo.

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

i went 215/45R17 on the rear of my car ( i had 205/40R17 ) my dc2 scrubbed rear bad, i had to put my 205/40's back on.... didnt bother trying the front, i wanted the rear to be more chunky..... dont know how it would go with 205/45 or 205/50 wider but i wouldnt go 215 unless someone will let you try it out 1st.... by the way my car is lowered so your car may not have the same problem....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    slowmo mobile
    You could just go to pedders and get a suspension check for like $50.00 and that will show up nearly every thing.
    Join The Dark Side......Get A Free Cookie !!!!!

Now driving a scooby.. will return to the vtec in the near future