Page 73 of 313 FirstFirst ... 23637071727374757683123173 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DA9, eg, n360,
    APPARENTLY u can use the later model civic wipers and make them backwards u know how the civic works like / \ and move away from each other... all u need is the motor off the later civic and then it works its on g2ic it sounds alrite

yeh no one wants to be sensible....

theres a few people who have done them... but i think u should justify the cost of a b18c and the conversion coz i looked at it and the work... u need to know ur stuff to be able to do it...

i priced frnt cuts cheapest i could find for dc2 vtir was 2700

now when i went to just get PARTS to do a conversion it was 800-1k for a head
    200 to 600 for a ecu
    gasket kit for 200-400
    new seals
    weld oil gallery up..
    etc. it was alot of work for what it was... and then its just easier to put a new motor in...

Member Array
    Car:
    93' DA9
    pritty sure 'sikisdr69' has an LS/VTEC conversion cause in his name it says LS/VTEC 145.6KW etc.....

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by A-man View Post
    APPARENTLY u can use the later model civic wipers and make them backwards u know how the civic works like / \ and move away from each other... all u need is the motor off the later civic and then it works its on g2ic it sounds alrite

yeh no one wants to be sensible....

theres a few people who have done them... but i think u should justify the cost of a b18c and the conversion coz i looked at it and the work... u need to know ur stuff to be able to do it...

i priced frnt cuts cheapest i could find for dc2 vtir was 2700

now when i went to just get PARTS to do a conversion it was 800-1k for a head
    200 to 600 for a ecu
    gasket kit for 200-400
    new seals
    weld oil gallery up..
    etc. it was alot of work for what it was... and then its just easier to put a new motor in...
    Building it is the fun of it though
    You would also need a fair few other bits n pieces...
    head studs
    rod bolts
    bearings
    fluids, oil and gasket sealer etc
    labour costs for outsourcing
    various specialty tools needed
    + more most likely

Sounds like quiet an expensive swap. I wonder what performance vs. a vtir b18c would be like.

Wonder what the cost would end up looking like if you were do go an ls vtec build using new aftermarket pistons, camshafts etc in the process

If the price is similar to a vtir halfcut in the end, then with this swap at least you have a freshly built engine... thats depending on how you view the reliability arguments of this swap.
    Last edited by Paul1985; 18-09-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    93 B16A DA9 Integra
    i considered it a few yrs ago when the engine on my old da was on its way out...
    i remember speaking to a few people about getting it done, then realised it would b alot better to do a straight b18c conversion, and just work on that.
    but u seem like the kinda guy who enjoys the work and the challenge of it all... so i wouldnt put the whole thing past ya. let us know what you decide

Member Array
    Car:
    ex-DA9, Altezza
    anyone with a stock DA cat i can borrow?
    ModBox

Member Array
    Car:
    93' DA9
    i do...but for how long:P

Member Array
    Car:
    ex-DA9, Altezza
    jap spec have b18a????

do u mean b16a....not much point for us to just change to a b18a jap spec when we already have a b18a aus spec...
    ModBox

Member Array
    Car:
    93' DA9
    anyone got a better lip to put on my 90-91 front bar, like that bulky oem style one thats rare or something better! cause doesnt look promising that ill get the 92-93 bar back:s cheers guys

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9, eg, n360,
    yeh but most people i know who are associated with hondas arent mechanicly minded and arent into DIY this is why a conversion is easier.... and for me i can do that stuff but i wouldnt because of the cost....

it also makes it a 'bastard' engine.... its got bits from everywhere....

and heads r expensive and as hard to find as a frnt cut...

each to there own...

milly im chasing some parts atm.... just small interior stuff do u have the part in between the dash pad and the windscreen in good condition??? i would really like one... if its black i would like the boot plastics to...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by A-man View Post
    yeh but most people i know who are associated with hondas arent mechanicly minded and arent into DIY this is why a conversion is easier.... and for me i can do that stuff but i wouldnt because of the cost....

it also makes it a 'bastard' engine.... its got bits from everywhere....

and heads r expensive and as hard to find as a frnt cut...

each to there own...

milly im chasing some parts atm.... just small interior stuff do u have the part in between the dash pad and the windscreen in good condition??? i would really like one... if its black i would like the boot plastics to...
    You are right.
    I find it a hobbie and a challenge. I guess thats why i'm an aprentice mechanic. I think if i hadnt had a few years experience and done all the schooling i have i would never even consider an engine build, even an engine swap would be a difficult option as i dont think i would have had the confidence in doing such a thing. I'm just looking into it at the moment as i have other things to finish first, not to mention the cost involved.

It can cost upto and around $7000+ from the research ive been doing to get all the components you need. Thats including the cost of a head and pretty much everything internal brand new... pistons, rods, cams, valves, valve springs, retainers, cam gears, outsourced block and head for work, all new gaskets and belts, fluids/gasket maker etc, bearings, studs/bolts, new pumps, injectors, plugs, new IM and TB, headers ECU etc etc..

Thats a pretty much all out build which would make a brand new engine built by yourself.
    It could cost a hell of a lot cheaper if you dont want to upgrade the cams/valvetrain and use the LS rods and get cheaper pistons etc etc.. You could definately come close to halving that cost by using cheaper parts.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9, eg, n360,
    yeh im an apprentice to but im a plant mechanic more money for bigger machines :P

engine conversions r really easy for hondas. and if u look at a few and get familar with the cars u will work that out... eg and eks r the best for it... there SOOOO robust its great

Member Array
    Car:
    93' DA9

oo yeh i got sticker to ive cut around it now, so doesnt look shitty!