Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    Mikey, i am using the recommended oil as stated by Redline

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic Type R
    Mikey, i am using the recommended oil as stated by Redline
    YES - ok... however engine wear and tear does make oil burn quicker. So if you have lots of Kms on the engine, its recommended to use thicker oil, than the one in the book Adam. Ask any mechanic and they will tell you exactly that.

All im saying is that the 'run in' oil you have used is very THIN, maybe too thin for your engine wear, and the 'recommended' thickness of the oil will actually allow the engine to burn it.

Eg: I bought my car with 106000kms on the clock, 100000 isn't alot - however I speculate that whoever had the car before me may have slightly overheated the car on one occasion. What that caused is a slight burn of the valve seals in my Cyl head. When I used the 'recommended' oil I was going through a litre of oil every 2 or so weeks. I swapped to a thicker oil and the consumption was far less, now i'm running Magnatech and it doesn't use any oil between changes.

Man - its your CAR, and YOUR engine. you can use WHATEVER you please, im just giving you some friendly advice given the PROBLEM you are experiencing... You don't need to educate me what the recommended oil is. Maybe REDLINE makes oil that is slightly thicker, and maybe thats what would be recommended for you 'particular' engine condition... ever think about that?

You have a problem, you asked why it happened - im advising you - from experience.

You will do what you see fit... no skin off my back...
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

If you're burning that much oil, it would sound like something is not sealed properly and oil's getting into the chamber.

Have you had any machining done? or a modified headgasket?

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by euGeR
    If you're burning that much oil, it would sound like something is not sealed properly and oil's getting into the chamber.

Have you had any machining done? or a modified headgasket?
    dude... hes car is an 'ol race engine. Everything is modified in that thing, and im more than 90% sure that hes oil rings are GONE GONE GONE! compressions there, but lettin the oil go through the oil rings!
    the thinner the oil u give it, the more u will burn... its as simple as that and there is NO other explanation if there aint no leaks anywhere... oils going straight into the combustion chambers.

Adam - your engine has had its NUTs raced off before you aquired the engine, did u even give it a recon like rings, bearings? You dropped it right in didn't u?

Id use thicker oil but thats just me...

hope you solve the problem dude!

Mike
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Car:
    The engine has had a complete rebuild 3000km ago. All seals etc were replaced.
    Maybe the mechanic only put in 2.5l of oil - but i doubt it.

Also Mike, dont read too much into what others feed you with misaligned opinions. The previous story written of its history was totally untrue and that was verified with the purchaser and engine rebuilder before me. Yes it has a racing history but as i said, it was rebuit to new and fully blueprinted etc for outright performance. I dont think old worn out gaskets or seals would be used for a rebuild - when budgets are no object

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    but after the rebuild 3000kms what did the engine do? was it in a street car or back in a race car, then removed... and you bought it?

"dont read too much into what others feed you with misaligned opinions" - are these opinions about the engine or about the oil?

I never said the engine was rebuilt with old gaskets and seals. Im saying that the history of the engine, probably warrants the fact there is a problem with oil rings... or as you stated it could have only had 2.5L in it in the first place... but you say you've checked the level and it was fine... which brings us back to square one - where did the oil go... i say oil rings...
    Last edited by SINISTR; 13-01-2005 at 12:17 PM.

moral of story - wait until next oil change,

if it is eating oil still, try a heavyier oil,

if it is still eating oil with heavy stuff,

you got some questioning to do to the rebuilder...

BTW - was there any oil in the PCV canister?
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    moral of story - wait until next oil change,

and thats what i said last week

I'll keep you posted.

Member Array
    Car:
    sounds good!

i seriously Hope there no problem there and you just were running Low on oil in the first place - otherwise it will hit your pocket pretty hard!

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    newly rebuilt engines don't just eat oil. The amount that your loosing you would see black smoke come out everytime your floored it. I'm sure you didn't floor it cos you were using running in oil????

Could be a bit of everything. Keep us informed though on the next change...