Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ive got the same problem with my EM1. If i try start it on a cold morning, its fine but if i try start it when its been sitting in the hot sun all day - sometimes it will hesitate and not start first go. Interested to hear the outcome here.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    i feel better now im not the only one.. havent had time to look at the main relay yet. had mechanic do starter motor test and the startermotor is in good working order

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    took out the main relay today had a look at it. none of the solders were worn but we re soldered them all anyway and still no differance... when the problem happens the battery drops to 8 volts.. its not the battereys fault becasue this is the second new battery that is doing it.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK4 Civic
    Yeh i think i'll try a new battery first off coz all my other stuff seems to be fine. Honda resoldered some stuff in my main relay. It could be a wiring problem due to the fact that it impacts the workings of my radio.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    doesnt fix my problem.. getting realy frustrated now

ok i have had this problem before and worked out that it was the ignition module as it is very comon on the d16 motor. so i suguest to replace this and it should fix it

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    more information on ignition module? where to buy what it is bla bla. im not the most mechanicaly minded when it comes to car electronics
    Last edited by RandyRhydah; 12-11-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Randy - Your problem seems to be your starter motor cutting in and out. Alaric's previous experience with this issue seems to be a 'crank but no fire' issue, where as yours is a 'cranking cut-out' issue = different symptoms, hence meaning the ignition module is most probably not the cause of your fault. The ignition module could create issues on hot starting, but those issues would be 'crank but no fire' or just plain misfire issues.

Checked out that Ignition switch yet? Check condition of switch contacts and wiring.

Checked your Earths points (at battery terminal, engine earths, and body/chassis earths)?

Tried checking if power is still getting to the starter motor whilst its cutting out? If power is still at the starter while it is cutting out then your starter is at fault! If there is no power at the starter whilst its cutting out then you need to check back further down the circuit (as previously stated). Don't forget to check all wiring and plug connections - There may be a short/open circuit somewhere or a dodgey connection along the wiring between components such as the Ignition Switch, Main Relay or Starter.
    Last edited by omgzilla; 12-11-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    FN2R

just leating you that i have tried all these things before i found that it was the module. If u go to spare parts shop u will be able to get one, and it is located on the dizzy.
    the reason why i said this is because it starts and then runs and then once the motor is hot it cuts out which tells me that its an electrical problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Previously verified actual issue
    Quote Originally Posted by omgzilla View Post
    So as your switching/holding the key to cranking position the starter motor actually cuts out, even though you're still switching key position to crank?
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhydah View Post
    thats correct the engine will fully stop cranking no sartermotor no revolutions.
    alaric: From what RandyRhydah has explained (as i've quoted above) his is a completely different issue than the one you were experiencing. Your help is still appreciated, however.
    FN2R

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    thanks, ill check these things out tomorow. checked all earths and they are good but i will see if it is the starter motor. it has been looked at by mechanic and stuff but there may have been something un noticed by him.

hopefully i have better luck tomorow cheers guys

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Meanwhile... some light reading for you dude:
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/1999/cm119948.htm

Just some basics of the starter circuit to help you gain some understanding of the system.

Let us know how you go tomorrow
    FN2R