Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    alright...can you DIY the fluid change?

i've never done this before...any hints, tips, pics, advice?...

Cheers guys..

the oil wasnt that dark..i would say the color is similar to....umm..new engine oil?..or tad bit darker..

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchie001 View Post
    alright...can you DIY the fluid change?

i've never done this before...any hints, tips, pics, advice?...

Cheers guys..
    Yes you can.
    If you are going to i recommend you goto supercheap/burson/repco and purchase a haynes manual for the car (i payed $40 for one the other day).

In this manual it will go through step by step on the filling procedure and what and what not too do.

Im not sure on the filling method for an auto honda. I did a hyundai the other day and it has a drain plug, you drain all the fluid out, tighten plug, fill slowly through dipstick tube till it reaches the marks on the dipstick.. Take it for a short drive and be sure to run it from P to 1 then to N, re-check dipstick level when cars at operating temp and top upto the full line. Be very careful not to overfill or underfill the trans, this is important.

Could be slightly different on the honda.

Newer model cars that have auto transmissions are sealed for life and to drain them you need to remove the whole sump tray and then when filling up you need to pump the fluid in through a plug on the side until it starts to trickle out.

Thats why i recommend you get the haynes manual as each car can vary, from there its an easy DIY as long as you are competent enough to put the car on stands and drain some fluid.

The ATF fluid to top it up will prob cost you $50 or $60. Its not real cheap stuff.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Paul1985; 17-09-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    civic eg
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1985 View Post
    Yes you can.
    If you are going to i recommend you goto supercheap/burson/repco and purchase a haynes manual for the car (i payed $40 for one the other day).

In this manual it will go through step by step on the filling procedure and what and what not too do.

Im not sure on the filling method for an auto honda. I did a hyundai the other day and it has a drain plug, you drain all the fluid out, tighten plug, fill slowly through dipstick tube till it reaches the marks on the dipstick.. Take it for a short drive and be sure to run it from P to 1 then to N, re-check dipstick level when cars at operating temp and top upto the full line. Be very careful not to overfill or underfill the trans, this is important.

Could be slightly different on the honda.

Newer model cars that have auto transmissions are sealed for life and to drain them you need to remove the whole sump tray and then when filling up you need to pump the fluid in through a plug on the side until it starts to trickle out.

Thats why i recommend you get the haynes manual as each car can vary, from there its an easy DIY as long as you are competent enough to put the car on stands and drain some fluid.

The ATF fluid to top it up will prob cost you $50 or $60. Its not real cheap stuff.

Good luck with it.
    amen yer as paul1985 said their are different ways of draining n topping up your auto transmission oil depending on car(holden for 1 has plugs where you have to undo n drain then top up from side of box. If you have to remove the auto fluid sump i advise u get a new gasket. gl m8
    IF IT AINT A TYPE R IT AINT A TYTE CAR!

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 VTiR Teg
    i had the same thing on my daily driver eg vti. changed the fluid twice and it helped a bit but a few months back the transmission let go. it might just be the torque converter, im not sure, but anyway its very hard to find a replacement tranny (m24a) - been looking for months in victoria and the only place that has one wants $1100 exchange.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2r CW
    Does it "fix" itself after the car is warmed up?

Member Array
    Car:
    vtec spoola
    one thing that i found on most autos is that if the trans oil hasn't been changed in a while, it tends to thin out to much causing it to burn out the solenoids...
    "If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning.”

Quote Originally Posted by ritchie001 View Post
    ..worse case scenario replace the bl0ody gear box ...
    I've got an M24A if you need one, cheaper than wreckers .

Cheers,

Tony