Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grounding kit

grounding kit

one of my mates is getting a grounding kit for his impreza. he reckons they 'dramatically' improve slugishness in 1st gear and helps smooth out flat spots. would this be the same if i got one for my ek civic?

properly grounded....it would only help if your car is lacking in current grounding or suffers from poor/broken grounds

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    they really do

the stock grounds are shit, in everycar

a mate did one in his ae92 corolla, helped fuel economy, performance, heaps

from battery to throttle body, injector rail, alternator, a few spots on teh chassis around then engine bay

theres pics floating around on here somewhere
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=trism

go have a read of that thread, its posted in there

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    I used to run cable to few spots in engine (eg. alternator, intake manifold, etc).
    But after I read couple of article on the net, I decided to just replace existing grounding cable due to the fact that:
    * there is no point for adding more grounding cables if there is already one. Electricity will use the path with less resistance.
    * longer cable introduce more resistance. That equals to bad grounding.

Have a read on this article:
    http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/grounding.htm

The fact that people getting good result, usually implies that the existing grounding is bad (deterioted cable, rusty terminal, etc). Just like what Ben said.
    So, buy a meter of 4AG cable with some ring terminal and dielectric grease.
    From that 1 meter, cut it into 3 and replace the following cable:
    1 from battery -ve terminal to the chassis.
    1 from engine to the chassis.
    1 from gearbox to the chassis.

That's about grounding. There is another long discussion about voltage stabiliser product, eg. raizin. I have one installed, but I can't judge the effect without dynoing it.
    Last edited by twing; 16-11-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by twing View Post
    * there is no point for adding more grounding cables if there is already one. Electricity will use the path with less resistance.
    well thats true, but a good analogy to use for electricity is water.

ive got two pipes. both the same size. both leading to the same place. they both flow 40cfm of water. only one is blocked off.

im getting 40cfm water flow.

if i unblock the 2nd, i am now getting 80cfm of flow

doesnt matter if one pipe is 100m long and the other is 100km long, they are both getting the same flow

now, the whole car is grounded. the more paths you have from teh electricity to return to the batteries

Quote Originally Posted by twing View Post
    * longer cable introduce more resistance. That equals to bad grounding.
    ill try to find the webpage, but testing 4ga cable. there was no measureable difference in resistance between a 30cm long cable and 6m long cable

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    I LOVE my grounding kit! I stress to so many people that DC2's are poorly grounded. I have a Tako kit, but if you're not a brand whore like me make your own. It's make a bunch of difference to response, smoothness to rev range, brightness and stability of lights, and a large difference if you've got a sound system.

We frequently create and install earthing kits here and have found they work very well. However; at the same time it's important to point out that they only assist where the cars factory earthing system is inadequate (which is 95% of the time).

Here are a couple of photos of the more common sized ones we make for Hondas however you can make them whatever size you wish.

More images of earthing kits can be found here.

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    Pwoa... O_o so dazzling... so bling...

ill try to find the webpage, but testing 4ga cable. there was no measureable difference in resistance between a 30cm long cable and 6m long cable
    Try this calculator:
    http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm
    on 4ga cable, 30 cm resistance 0.0002, 6m resistance 0.0050 which 25 times more resistance.
    Of course we are not going to use 6m 4GA to ground the car

The other issue with multiple grounding point is that, it may create a ground loop. It causes noise in your car stereo. I don't know what it will do to all engine sensors, but I would rather avoid it.
    Last edited by twing; 17-11-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    rightio then

tell that too all the people who have experienced FIRST HAND the difference they make

easier starting, brighter headlights/no dimming, better fuel economy

its not just bling, it works!!

Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    rightio then

tell that too all the people who have experienced FIRST HAND the difference they make

easier starting, brighter headlights/no dimming, better fuel economy

its not just bling, it works!!

Read my first post - only do anything if the current setup is insufficient ie old / worn / broken - or if you have aftermarket parts or accessories that would demand more battery time (aftermarket sound system etc)

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    so many times i've read this same topic. i would not trust the 16 year old grounding that my eg has i put in extra grounds and starting was easier and fuel economy improved. as for response??? as if i could really tell. placebo. who knows? i know it made better fuel consumption? resetting the ecu while the batt was disconnected? re learning fuel maps? less heavy foot? who knows?

starting better. fact!

this is a time when the electrical system relies on battery for power and it had more power to kick it over faster. as for changes during any other time. inconclusive.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...