Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the lights only dimm when the heavy bass hits and when the amps need extra juice. So for the split second, the amps will drain the extra power from the caps, and thus the lights dont dimm. After the bass hits, there probably be a couple seconds or less where there is no heavy bass notes so the alternator will recharge back the cap up. Hence the reason to get a good ESR capacitor and not some fancy mancy smuck.

Once the caps is charged already, it will wait for the next heavy load.

Same goes for your car battery. If the alternator cannot supply enough juice, the battery would not be able to cope up either, as it will take longer time to charge and discharge compare to a capacitor.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    i know how a cap works

but i still think its better to get a stronger battery then to add something else that needs electricity
    to see all of my build, checkout

Upgrading Earths can help as well. Generally a car doesn't come from the factory with the intention of running a 50-100A sound system.
    01 VW Bora fully loaded
    08 Civic Sport stock

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 2008
    i know this is a stupid question, but wat is upgrading earths?

im assuming cables?

Quote Originally Posted by shakkas View Post
    i know this is a stupid question, but wat is upgrading earths?

im assuming cables?
    talking bout running cables from ur negative battery terminal to ur chassis right? ground-wiring kit in other words

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    agree with everything trism's said.

a cap wont fix the problem, itll just mask it..

run thicker groundwires from battery to chasis, engine block to chasis, alternator to chasis & amp ground wire to chasis.

address the wiring system first, then the battery, then new alternator if needed.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    step 1 upgrade cabling guage and make sure amp and battery have great grounds
    step 2 upgrade battery to a deep cycle like optima or odyssey
    if still dimming alt or cap

caps are only bandaid solutions to the real problem of voltage drop from the electrical system not being able to supply enough current. upgrading cables and earths make sure that the system for you amp is working most efficently

batteries help with more current when you amp draws more than your alt can supply. deep cycles have a higher output and withstand better the hard conditions of being drained constantly. i have run my odyssey dead to the point it can't start my car over 20 times and it still is as strong as it ever was.

alt supply more current to the electrical system so the is more juice on tap which is always great

my 2c.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Quote Originally Posted by 55EXX View Post
    step 1 upgrade cabling guage and make sure amp and battery have great grounds
    step 2 upgrade battery to a deep cycle like optima or odyssey
    if still dimming alt or cap
    Yeah I have followed that successfully for a few to many years now.
    01 VW Bora fully loaded
    08 Civic Sport stock

Think about how a circuit works dude.... A standard 16ga ish earthing battery strap at about a meter long just doesn't cut it.

Bigger alternator can always be a good thing but think about the Alternator as being an Engine and the Cables being the suspension of a race car. Sure it can produce more power to go faster, but without decent suspension ( or cables in this instance ) it is wasting so much potential.
    Last edited by mr İharisma; 12-12-2008 at 06:18 PM.
    01 VW Bora fully loaded
    08 Civic Sport stock

Most decent earthing kits I have seen run the earth from the alternator and a few runs from the engine and chassis back to a main distributer. Then a single cable runs back to the Neg terminal using thicker wires than from factory. Isn't that what you just said will improve the grounding process?

the systems are grounding through the altenator.

Bigger cables always helps.

simply running them to the engine block or chassis would be a much BETTER and EFFICIENT circuit ground wise.

Thats what the earthing kit is doing??
    01 VW Bora fully loaded
    08 Civic Sport stock

Obviously your not a fan of Earthing kits?
    01 VW Bora fully loaded
    08 Civic Sport stock

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    claymore i have upgraded earths and cabling in my many car stereo installs over the years to find them essential as part of a efficient install. in my car at the moment i have stock alt and over 600 wrms easy smashing through my 3 way dyns up front to the beat of bass guitars and kick drums with violent power through my 12 inch in the boot with 100w highlights with no dimming now. all i have is big cables and a odyssey batt. 0ga is what i thank. how do you explain it?
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...