Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Euro View Post
    Then to me final drive sounds that its not really that great unless you want the for higher speeds?
    It is better for 1/4 mile or track where you can hit over 150kmh. No much point for street. A lightweight flywheel is more worth it. But since you have everything taken apart, you can always try the final drive and report back to us if you like it or not.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    03 CL9 Euro
    Would you also have the same thoughts if all you wanted to do was take off the lights quickly and get to say the speed limit as quick as possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Using your example to get to a 60km/h limit, the stock 4.388 final drive will be quicker because you can reach close to 60km/h using just 1st gear. With a shorter final drive, you have to shift into 2nd. Same if you were going up to 100km/h, you can just barely get there in 2nd gear with the 4.388 but you would need 3rd gear with a shorter final drive.
    Then to me final drive sounds that its not really that great unless you want the for higher speeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    It is better for 1/4 mile or track where you can hit over 150kmh. No much point for street. A lightweight flywheel is more worth it. But since you have everything taken apart, you can always try the final drive and report back to us if you like it or not.
    I have to agree with Aaron, the final drive as i mentioned is better with drag racing style driving where the final drive shortens the gear ratios quite a bit as in the application of dragging you are trying to get as much power/speed out as possible in little time.

On street how often are you trying to reach high speeds, by improving your driving/shifting skills you get better gains, then just a final drive.
    vTeK 4-Life!
    FOR SALE: CL9

Quote Originally Posted by Crapdaz View Post
    I have to agree with Aaron, the final drive as i mentioned is better with drag racing style driving where the final drive shortens the gear ratios quite a bit as in the application of dragging you are trying to get as much power/speed out as possible in little time.

On street how often are you trying to reach high speeds, by improving your driving/shifting skills you get better gains, then just a final drive.
    Correct me if i am wrong. The aim of drag racing is to get from point A to Point B in as fast time as possible. So would this not be the same as trying to get from 0 to 80km/h in as fast a time as possible?

Only difference being one is measured in KM and another in KM/h.

I agree with aaron with he concept of the shorter causing the extra shift. Alot of people are going to flame me about this question. But a formula one car has short ratios right? and they are significantly quicker off the line that a V8 super car right?

Member Array
    Car:
    Eva
    The only thing changing a final drive does is increase or reduce the top speed of each gear. That's all it does, apply it to each scenario from there
    CL9 Euro Luxury

Toda - 127kW | Wakefield - 1:19.1 | WSID - 15.4

QUALITY K-SERIES AND CL9 EURO PARTS FOR SALE

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Accord EURO
    lol well how about you go buy one, try to install it and tell us if it fits and if theres any power gain. no point of you sitting here trying to get answers from people who dont even have it. i agree with suntzu

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    why install this anyway its a waste of time i think ? theres nothing wrong with our final drive.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Correct me if i am wrong. The aim of drag racing is to get from point A to Point B in as fast time as possible. So would this not be the same as trying to get from 0 to 80km/h in as fast a time as possible?

Only difference being one is measured in KM and another in KM/h.
    No, both are different. One is trying to cover the distance in a certain time, while the other is the derivative of the distance with respect to time. Both are not zero order (straight line graph), so they are not the same. You're saying that if you drew a graph of distance over time and you measured the slope, you would get km/h. But that is not true because the graph won't be a straight line. It will be a curve. So the slope is different at different points in time.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I agree with aaron with he concept of the shorter causing the extra shift. Alot of people are going to flame me about this question. But a formula one car has short ratios right? and they are significantly quicker off the line that a V8 super car right?
    F1 cars have shorter ratios, but they rev to 19000rpm, so even if the gear ratio was say 9.00:1 vs the 4.50:1 of the V8 supercar, they would reach the same speed at redline in the gear of same ratio because the F1 car's engine revs twice as high. F1 cars are also much lighter.

How do you know if your car has a K20 transmission?
    If your is CL7 2000cc engine is K20, CL9 2400cc engine is K24.

Quote Originally Posted by integral90 View Post
    The only thing changing a final drive does is increase or reduce the top speed of each gear. That's all it does, apply it to each scenario from there
    Top speed will reduce only about 20km/h in theory if change to 5.1. But u probably will run out of straight road anyway before you can reach 240km/h.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Euro M Red 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
    Most retarded thread ever. Nuff Said.
    Let me clarify my earlier statement. This thread starts out like:

I need a final drive.
    Whats a final drive.
    get a turbo.
    Final Drive has more DinO PowA
    No it doesnt.
    Total confusion over basic concept = Tardness

Now I think a final drive has merit. I would only do it if I could retain the overall ratios for 5th and 6th for crusing. That would mean higher 5/6

4000rpm in 6th at 110kph is not good for anyone or the car unless is a dedicated track car. That being said there are some at acurazine with it.

But a lower 1/2/3 gear would kick arse.

Makes me think about LSD, but then again a mazda 3sp and a Astra VXR and Focus XR6 dont have LSD and drive fine with a lot of torque so dunno about the euro..
    Last edited by Suntzu; 20-12-2008 at 08:42 AM.
    I went to the modded XR5 Turbo with Mods - the dark side.....BOOOOST!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
    Makes me think about LSD, but then again a mazda 3sp and a Astra VXR and Focus XR6 dont have LSD and drive fine with a lot of torque so dunno about the euro..
    LSD avoids spinning the inner wheel when using heavy throttle in corners. The effect on straight line traction is not that beneficial because both tyres usually have almost equal traction.

The Mazda 3 MPS has an LSD too.