Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

[DIY] Repairing and respraying cracked plastic lips

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: to repair and repaint minor cracks and chipped front lips/spoilers.

here's what it looks like before...

Required: I used the following, i’m sure there are other products out there, but this worked out for me:
    - Q-Bond – plastic repair kit – comes with black and grey powder and 2 x liquid adhesives
    - K&H Plastic Primer
    - K&H Clear Coat
    - Holti coloured spray can
    - 600 grit sandpaper
    - 1200 grit sandpaper
    - Filer
    - Couple of chairs, or table if you don’t have stands for spraying

Steps:
    1) Remove lip, set the lip on a stand. Since i didn’t have stands, i used 2 old chairs as stands.
    2) Dunk the 600grit sandpaper in water and begin wetsanding the lip down, the aim is to strip away the old paint, and even out any minor bumps and imperfections. This was a bit of a bitch to do, because after a while your fingers begin to take a toll – and also probably because 600grit may have been a bit too fine to strip paint so you have to sand pretty vigorously.

3) Once all the paint has been stripped away, give it a hose down, and dry with a cloth.
    4) Now patching up the crack. Using a filer, file down the crack facing the front to form a sort of ‘V’ groove along the crack – this helps the adhesive to bond the crack together.

sorry about image quality but if you look closely, the crack has a groove through it now... its not flush anymore.. this is what you want to do.

5) Pour the black Q-Bond powder along the ‘V’ you created along the crack (i used black coz my lip is of black pvc) then put a few drops of the adhesive on black powder. Be sure to hold the 2 ends of the crack together aligned as much as possible. Mine was slightly off as you can see in later pics.

6)Repeat step 5 for the other side of the crack (you don’t have to form the ‘V’ groove behind coz you’ve done it for the front already – i didn’t anyway)
    7)Repeat steps 4-6 for any other cracks you may have
    8) Once the Q-Bond dries (should take no more than a few seconds) begin filing it down.
    9) Once you’re satisfied, give it a quick dust down and the painting begins. Set the lip back on the stands and begin spraying it with the plastic primer. Give it about 5-10min then sand it down with 1200 grit sandpaper getting rid of any uneven spray and imperfections. I did about 8 coats with sanding in between – last step is sanding.

...after the first coat

...after the last coat

10) Once your satisfied, begin spraying the spraying the lip in your desired colour. I did my first coat, then once dried, sanded it down with 1200grit sandpaper – to get rid of any overspray and imperfections. I did this another 2 more times before spraying about 3-4 coats on top of each other without sanding in between. Be sure to wait for the paint to dry before applying individual coats.

11) Once the paint dries, get your clear coat and begin spraying the painted surface of your lip. I ended up spraying about 7 layers of clear coat until i was satisfied.
    12) Reattach your lip and your done!

and here's what it looks like now...

Other comments
    I also realise my lip has been through a lot of abuse from gutter grazes etc, hence there are some deep scratches i didnt bother fixing. My main focus was to respray the lip and fix the crack. This is the first time i ever attempted something like this before and i think it turned out pretty good, better than forking out a few hundred to get it repaired from a panel beater or getting a replacement lip. All up it costed me about 70bux including the Q-bond which i’ve only used a little bit of. Try hold the lip as much aligned as possible, as you can see from the pics, mine is a bit off, but it doesn’t phase me too much.

Hope this helps someone!
    Last edited by mugenpower168; 23-01-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    wow great job, colour matches well
    Less is More

thanks bru!

Member Array
    Car:
    EH and EK
    where did you get the q bond from.. that stuff is the best
    [SHOOTING STAR]

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    Finish is pretty good. Definitely better than before!
    Thanks for the DIY write up!

Can get Q-Bond from Repco, yeh works pretty sweet!

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    is your paint code NH-583M - new vogue silver metalic?
    if so, is that the correct colour spray can you bought and whered u buy it from?
    reason being, I couldnt find it in a pre-mixed can anywhere, had to get it specially mixed up at autobarn which costed $20+ ish and the can isnt even very full, always ended up needing more.

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    Quote Originally Posted by simonnowis View Post
    if so, is that the correct colour spray can you bought and whered u buy it from?
    reason being, I couldnt find it in a pre-mixed can anywhere, had to get it specially mixed up at autobarn which costed $20+ ish and the can isnt even very full, always ended up needing more.
    simon, try peps autospares

they mixed my can for me @ around 20$ and it was fairly big.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    thanks Dy_ will def check it out.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    Awesome writeup!

Btw, use "macro mode" on your camera for close ups next time... that's why all your close up pics are blurry!
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Quote Originally Posted by simonnowis View Post
    hey, yeh it is, i bought it from repco, the brand of the spraycan is 'Holts Dupli-Colour Auto Spray' the barcode is DSSB06 - Light silver (or new subaru silver). One can is 12bux from Repco.