Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R

What if, Why and How? Various Qs

Q: Why do piston #1 needs to be set @TDC while changing timing belt?
    If I change the timing belt without moving camgear/crankshaft then it should be fine? plus theres woodruff key in crankshaft pulley.
    A: ?

Q: What if pilot bearing in flywheel is loose?.

tried fitting a new flywheel. the pilot bearing sits flush in the flywheel but i can spin the whole pilot bearing in the flywheel (not talking abt the inner race, but the whole bearing spinning). its not tight like oem.
    can this be a problem? service manual doesn't say anything about this..
    A: after leaving it for a day, its gone tight now... lol maybe cos its hotter today.

ps. can be moved to noob section if this is inappropriate technical question.
    Last edited by mocchi; 26-02-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

it needs to be soild and firm in the flywheel . It is TAPPED in with a socket piece or oft hammer - it cant be loose. It means you have the incorrect sized bearing.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    forgot to say, in the flywheel, there is a ridge where it holds the pilot bearing from slipping to the other end.

how tight?
    i have to use hammer to push it in, but i can take it out with my index.

the pilot bearing comes with the clutch kit i bought.

btw, how heavy is oem ek d16y4 flywheel anyway?

thanks
    Last edited by mocchi; 25-02-2009 at 08:19 PM.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

yup i know there is a ridge - I cant say the proper OD of the pilot bearing for all D series. But the standard flywheel would be heavy. Like 8-9kgs probably

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    ... damn it. fkn ebay shiet. the ad says "much greater weight reduction over oem flywheel" my ass.

its weighs exactly the same then if its 8-9kg. i thought the old one was already light flywheel.

back to original question.. would the 'not too tight, not too loose' pilot bearing in the flywheel produce problem?

thanks ben. fast help.
    S P A M | W O R K S

not sure dude sorry. but a "lightweight" flywheel is about 3.9 to 4.5kgs or so (both D and B series). Standard is around double that.
    As for the pilot ,its possible the flywheel is slightly larger than standard (dam ebay stuff) i doubt the bearing is slightly off. Check with your OLD flywheel that the new pilot bearing fits. No need to tap it all teh way in , just place it flat with your fingers , if it wont go in at all or just catch the lip its fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    so the ID should be the same like oem one yeah?
    S P A M | W O R K S

ID = for inputshaft spline
    OD = for flywheel mounting....
    so yes the OD (outer diameter) should be the same as the old pilot bearing off your old flywheel.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    eh? why would the od matter? to make sure that its just the flywheel that might be slightly bigger?
    S P A M | W O R K S

*slaps* lol
    The OD is the problem. You stated it is loose ( the OD is alittle loose) yeah? I want you to compare both the ID and OD of the new pilot bearing , on the OLD flywheel. See if its the same as the old flywheel and old pilot. If it is , you know the flywheel possibly has a manufacturing defect. Or requires a bearing with a tiny bit bigger OD

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    oh haha.. yeah i will post it soon. thanks ben hehe
    S P A M | W O R K S

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Are you using a new 6002 bearing?
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au