Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EG Civic oil filter removal help needed

ok, so i've drained the oil n everything, now the oil filter is givin me issues....

i have an oil filter wrench (the type with the chain) i dont really knjow how to use it, but even so the driveshaft is in the way?

tried gettin a monkey wrench onto it but the driveshaft is in the way even more for this tool, its givin me the shits somethin severe!

anyone got any hintsd? or i might head to k-mart and get a belt type oil filter wrench?

gotta get this done in the next couple hours!
    DRCVIC

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    ive had success with the belt type. u only have a small amount of room to move, so it takes 4-5goes to get her loose. get the metal one, with a loop/band that u turn at the bottom to tighten/loosen.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    hey dude,

drive shaft is in the way? thats interesting... im having a guess you are trying to get to the filter from the top of the engine right?

I was changing oil on my gfs car last night, she has a B18C in her EG, and i had to get to the oil filter from underneath the car.

So maybe jack the car up - make sure its SECURE - and crawl under the car and try undoing it that way. Im thinking your oil 'wrench' is a little big for the application.

this is what I use for oil filter changes: ah sh*t - i cant even attach anything
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weq
    ive had success with the belt type. u only have a small amount of room to move, so it takes 4-5goes to get her loose. get the metal one, with a loop/band that u turn at the bottom to tighten/loosen.
    yup - thats the one I use!
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    Ludes
    If the drive shaft is in the way then I would assume he is coming from the bottom of the car.

Anyway I use a oil filter remover that attaches to my 1/2 inch rachet and has 3 claws that adjust to any size filter might cost a bit to purchase but if you live near Hurstville you can borrow it. Anyway try wraping it with sandpaper then turning it as the sandpaper will grip into it so it wont slip out of your hand. If tht fails you can hammer a screwdriver through it and then turn it, A bit messy but before getting my filter remover that option always worked when a friend would come over with one stuck.
    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by SINISTR
    hey dude,

drive shaft is in the way? thats interesting... im having a guess you are trying to get to the filter from the top of the engine right?

I was changing oil on my gfs car last night, she has a B18C in her EG, and i had to get to the oil filter from underneath the car.

So maybe jack the car up - make sure its SECURE - and crawl under the car and try undoing it that way. Im thinking your oil 'wrench' is a little big for the application.

this is what I use for oil filter changes: ah sh*t - i cant even attach anything
    NSX headlights, DI NOC Carbon film, Flips Parts sale .

went to k-mart n got a oil filter remover, all good thanks for the sugestions
    DRCVIC

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    jsut use ya hands.....its not on that tight to start off with.

Quote Originally Posted by z3lda
    jsut use ya hands.....its not on that tight to start off with.

not correct and not advised to attempt !

IF you are changing the oil filter via normal routine , there is a small amoutn of hot oil sitting inside the filter- ready to pour over your hands and face etc ! And, the oil filter sits on at a decent amoutn of force- not TIGHT , but alittle hard to remove with bare hands ans oil and other elements will hinder the grip .

Use a good claw grip with a 1/2 inch ratchet or a belt type tool etc !!!

yeh using my hands the first thing i tried!and yes there was a bit of oil in there! but the car now runs alot smoother, i dunno how long it had been since the oil was changed but it was THICK and BLACK, reminded me alot of wet tar that the road workers have in the buckets ready to pour on, yuk!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Also if you are doing your change while the engine is hot.......the oil filter is pretty hot to hold onto with just ur hand!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

yes, yes it was :P i could even feel it thru rubber gloves n leather gloves weren't grippy enuf :P

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic (UNV.396)
    I'm a big fan of the claw type tool, it makes the job so much easier, definatly worth the extra $$$, especially if u do ur own services.