Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Honda Jazz Vti-S
    Quote Originally Posted by gnx1987 View Post
    At how many rpm does it make this horsepower? How much torque does it make and at what rpm? How much does one of these engines cost? How much more accurate is the air fuel ratio due to FSI? How much would it cost to fix? How much would it cost to modify (if you could modify it assuming you may want to modify it one day)?

Don't forget there's more than one number to look at when you're talking about how good an engine is.

If there was a bang for buck competition. I reckon the ls engines would win hands down.
    Pretty sure ferrari and audi and the like would invest more money into its air/fuel ratio systems than a bulk producing company like GM, a matter of fact i know they do, companies like ferrari use great loads of real life testing, they will put an engine through the worst and make sure everything works proper, hence why you pay that higher premuim for quality, rather than GM that mass produces its v8s making it a cheaper alternative, if you want to call it that... a commodore will last what 10-20 years where in which you will spend thousands every year to keep it alive, a ferrari will run and run and run, yes the parts will be greater but you won't need to replace everything all the time compared and at the end of the day you have a friggen ferrari in your garage which will be classic not some commodore used for ramraids on a local deli.

Also you forget to mention one key thing with all these cars.. weight. It's all good having all this torque and then dumping it in 2 tonne family 4 door car or in the case or a monaro a 2 door commodore. OK cost is a big factor ey, pretty sure the atom 500 (another european idea) is cheaper than any 'muscle' car at the same level of performace, yes it dont have 'luxuries' e.g. a roof or windscreen but the topic was best engine in the end. And the atoms engine is based off a motorbike! oh well ive done enough rambling and defending the point euros do a better job in my mind.. still stand by honda have done the best V8 engine though (money being no object that is:P)
    Jazz Demon 666

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Honda Jazz Vti-S
    also how much does a corvette or a camaro cost now days?? cause i know the holden version only has 362 hp (270 kW) at 5700 rpm and 391 ft·lbf (530 Nm) at 4400 rpm. which isn't that great
    Jazz Demon 666

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord V6 Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by gmonkey View Post
    the euros do the best v8s easily... i just dont get how a 6ltr v8 can only produce a meer 300kw.. when an audi v8 FSi can produce 309kw :P yes its 9kw more but its also 1.8 liters smaller.. thats a whole b18 smaller :P. and the ls2 will never be better than a 5.7 hemi (290kw) from the yanks just for the pure fact its a hemi..
    LS3 in the MY09 HSV's onwards. 317kw.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Honda Jazz Vti-S
    still only 0-100 in 4.9... pretty dull. And why is it that holden acttually de-mod there engines.. they have less tech in them than the yanks.. look at the l76/l98 no displacement on demand tech, only get it on autos in my09 model
    Last edited by gmonkey; 11-03-2009 at 10:20 PM.
    Jazz Demon 666

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    for outright power... the f1 v8's lol.

s tune Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 sold :(
    Does the E92 BMW M3 V8 not rate high enough?
    -309 kW/420 hp from 4.0 litres
    -Maximum torque of 400 Newton-metres (295 lb-ft) at 3, 900 rpm, 85 per cent of maximum torque over a speed range of 6,500 rpm

Nah man, cause you running on pump juice and street machines...

These kids rolling with the big boys with their racing motties and racing fuel! :O

F1 V8 > All lol

Though the Powertec V8s (Two Hayabusa engines joined together) that power the Radical cars are pretty sexy too =D

And why the hell are you looking at power figures for American Small/Big blocks? You should be looking at their torque rating, much more impressive...
    Last edited by DreadAngel; 11-03-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

s tune Array
    Car:
    If reliability and engine life are not in cosideration the yes F1 def wins no question, drip feed oil and all

the euro's own, but how dammm expensive!! gotta love the m3 engine tho.

but hey, i'm hanging out to see the new camaro SS. that push rod will sound like a dreammmm

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK4
    still only 0-100 in 4.9... pretty dull. And why is it that holden acttually de-mod there engines.. they have less tech in them than the yanks.. look at the l76/l98 no displacement on demand tech, only get it on autos in my09 model
    they probably detune them so when the next model comes out they can give consumers another reason to get the latest by increasing the power a bit without having to spend a cent.
    Wanted: Black EG6 or EF9.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Honda Jazz Vti-S
    it would be a pretty dumb consumer who buys a VE for example and decides they need to buy a whole new MY09 jsut for an extra 17 or so kws. I can think of money better spent...well i can think of money being better spent on something other than a commodore in the first place :P. Holden can't make good V8s....
    Jazz Demon 666

s tune Array
    Car:
    it would be a pretty dumb consumer who buys a VE for example and decides they need to buy a whole new MY09 jsut for an extra 17 or so kws. I can think of money better spent...well i can think of money being better spent on something other than a commodore in the first place :P. Holden can't make good V8s....
    Holden haven't built a V8 since the old 5L, the rest are Chevrolet. Picky I know