Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Jazz VTi

1989 Civic Sedan - Total Honda Virgin I am

Hi Guys.

I was wondering if the technical gurus on this board is able to help me.

I am a totally Honda virgin, never owned or worked on one.

I recently purchased a 1989 Civic sedan. It has all power options. Can you tell me the model code of this car so I can do some research on it more correctly? or however its referred to.

I am planning on doing a oil change and sparkie replacement and am not sure of how much oil it requires. Can you please advise me of how many litres of oil it needs? What is the required weight of oil, is 20/50W ok to use with 225,000km on the clock?

Thanking you in advance.
    Last edited by SiNH; 20-02-2005 at 08:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    check the engine code could be an si or a Gli? not sure unless you supply more info

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    it should take about 3.5 liters oil, use FEO freom your local honda dealer, also use genuine oil filter as well.

your civic is a ED with a D15B4 engine Dual carb

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Jazz VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN
    it should take about 3.5 liters oil, use FEO freom your local honda dealer, also use genuine oil filter as well.

your civic is a ED with a D15B4 engine Dual carb
    Yes its a dual carby, 1.5L D15.

So can you tell me what weight oil to use? Can I use 20/50W?

Most importantly, how many litres of oil ( for sure ) will I need to fill?

" use FEO " whats that? I dont understand.
    Last edited by SiNH; 21-02-2005 at 03:36 PM.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    It's designation is ED6 and its spec is GL. At 225K kms, the motor is prolly getting a bit long in the tooth but FEO (oil bought from Honda) and a genuine Honda oil filter would prolly be best. Don't bother trying to research it using US websites - their versions were fuel injected and 80% of the info is useless. Try a UK site as they got the car in 1.4 and 1.5 varients (twin-carb). Yours is a 1488cc motor BTW.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Member Array
    Car:
    SY Accord
    there is a thread in the diy section about modding those engines if you were thikning od doing some stuff, nothing major, just carb stuff mainly.

hey i own a 1989 ED6 honda civic as well with the same amount of Km as ur car...yeah i use 20w/50 oil on the car...pick a decent brand of oil like Penzoil or Shell Helix or if ur pedantic then go genuine FEO(Fuel Efficient Oil) enginr oil, the oil filter i just grab from Repco which is a Z79A size oil filter...a bit of a pain in the arse to change coz the filter is under the carb near the firewall so u have to crawl under there...yeah any other questions just give us a yell..happy to help out

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Jazz VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_civic
    hey i own a 1989 ED6 honda civic as well with the same amount of Km as ur car...yeah i use 20w/50 oil on the car...pick a decent brand of oil like Penzoil or Shell Helix or if ur pedantic then go genuine FEO(Fuel Efficient Oil) enginr oil, the oil filter i just grab from Repco which is a Z79A size oil filter...a bit of a pain in the arse to change coz the filter is under the carb near the firewall so u have to crawl under there...yeah any other questions just give us a yell..happy to help out
    You legend!

Yeah I did the oil change using Shell 20/50W and Ryco filter, champion sparkies and oil filter change and it wasnt that much of a pain if you have those "claw" type oil remover, also changed the air filter as well.

The next to do on my list is fuel filter change, can you tell me exactly where the fuel filter is? The only thing that looked like a fuel filter to me ended up being a cabon box.

I havent manage to drive the car much at all yet, but how many ks do you do on a full tank? the dude that sold me the car says he used to get 700km out of a tank but now its only getting around 550km which is a still a godsend compared to my other turbo drive.

I put in 3.5L of oil, on the dip stick it only sits between the two dots, so I think 3.5L is perfect. Is this correct?

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Yup thats right.

I think its the same for your ED, but the difference between the two dots is around 1litre
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    You're nuts for chosing ryco over OEM - but hell - with the k's on your car, it's your call =D

750km/tank... did he try to sell you a harbour bridge too? =D
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Jazz VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Setanta
    You're nuts for chosing ryco over OEM - but hell - with the k's on your car, it's your call =D

750km/tank... did he try to sell you a harbour bridge too? =D
    Dunno man, i never owned a carby before. Even my first car which was 4 years older than this one had EFI.

WTF was honda thinking???
    Last edited by SiNH; 24-02-2005 at 04:43 PM.

yeah its great to hear the progress u made without any hassels, but for my car the fuel filter is in the rear left side of the car, u have to remove the wheel and pop your head under and you should see a filter, when i pulled my filter out and gave it a shake damm some nasty black stuff came out, initiall i thought the filter was in the engine bay but nope...have you considered changing the manual gearbox oil as well? when i did it i used Castrol VMX80 the gearbox takes about 1.8 litres of it...or again u can go and buy Geniune honda oil like everyone suggest. But yeah i get about 400-450km city driving when my car was running optimum now its probably less coz im running rich.