Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    sorry i thought you guys were hinting about the Eg series ! You are very right it differs.
    OBD2 engines seem to have a FITV of sorts - more like a small gallery with a coolant bypass to heat up the throttle body.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    That's where our confusion lies Benny.

Member Array
    Car:
    B18CEK DC2VTiR
    dead end

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by ceeazian View Post
    dead end
    Why.?

Member Array
    Car:
    B18CEK DC2VTiR
    Well I believe the d16y4 which is the gli in the 96 ek that there is no fitv??

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EF9 SiR
    There is no FITV in OBD2 Honda's.
    OG 03' Member #429

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by ceeazian View Post
    Well I believe the d16y4 which is the gli in the 96 ek that there is no fitv??
    Yes there is,it's 'on the the IACV part facing the front of the car',which is at the bottom of the TB.

This is for a d16y4,same engine as mine.

You can try and tighten the spring back up like I did,it may work,it's a bad design...better just to replace the whole IACV part (which has the FITV on it) on the bottom of the TB OR replace the whole TB.
    Last edited by beeza; 23-03-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    B18CEK DC2VTiR
    i've managed to find a guy here who had spare parts for a civic, and i got the throttle body complete off a d series engine. perfect. wouldnt believe he gave it to me for $20 lol just needed to get rid of it. so weekend job will compromise of throttle body change over and i'll be sure to let you know if it solves the problem? any advice before going ahead with this? seems standard procedure? Reset ECU after?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    - Clean up the TB with Carby cleaner.Make sure you take the IACV off the bottom and spray the shit out of it The 4 bolts on the bottom,don't tighten too hard just over hand tight or you can snap them.
    - Do it when the engine is cold.
    - You will need to dissconnect the 2 coolant hoses on the bottom of the TB.Use pliers to squeeze the clips then pull the hoses off.Don't worry about plugging them up,only a little coolant will come out.
    - The swap over is strait forward.
    - U can replace the TB gasket for $6 from Honda.Not a must but for $6...
    - When you put the TB cable back on,you will need to hold the TB open at WOT (wide open throttle) to get the cable back in.I'm sure you will figure this out but I know it's easy to fall into the trap of not knowing and stressing out cause ya can't get the sucker back in!
    - You can now adjust the throttle cable.You will see 2 nuts,that you use to tighten/loosen this.Make sure the cable is firm but not tight.
    - Re-check you have tighten all nuts/bolts/everything
    - You don't need to reset the ECU for this.
    - But I would expel the air in the cooling system though.
    - Start the car,take off the radiator cap,let it idle until the bubbles stop coming out the radiator.Squeeze the coolant hoses to help and/or park the car on a slope (front of the car up) to help the air rise/escape.

YOUR DONE!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Whoop

Finally things are looking up..

Was the throttle position sensor mixed with more than likely a dodgy IACV

The car finally started today without revving straight to red line!!
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    B18CEK DC2VTiR
    good stuff mate. thanks for the instructions. when i cleaned out my original TB i remember that feeling of not being able to get that throttle cable back in right haha and stressin abit but it was all good. anyway will be changing over the TB tomorrow so cross fingers. also, just a quick one, is it safe to use carby cleaner quite thouroughly through the TB and IACV without damaging any of the sensors and electrics attached to either of these parts? i think im being paranoid about everything now. abit of reassurance please

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    No worries!

Yes,they will be fine.Spray heaps for the IACV,the TPS and MAP sensor,you will only need a small amount anyways.Best to take those 2 sensors off and give them a quick spray under there.

That what my problem was too in the end Luke.I reckon the MAP sensor was even playing up on mine,cause when I swapped it,it was running better.Far easier just to swap the whole TB from the start with these type of problems.