Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1

Low end EK4 mods

I own a little EK1 hatch and I'm at uni for the next few years, so i have very little money.

I will be able to scrape together a bit of money, and I want to do some simple mods to my car.

Cold air intake
    New exhaust system
    Engine chip
    Dyno tune

What do you guys think? I am limited to less than $2000 all up, which will be divided over 3 years.

Cost effective? Any other mods that relativly cheap for the power gains?

Any advice you can give me will be great help.

I love my civic, and stock as it is, its still one of the fastest cars out of all my friends cars, so any improvment will be great.

Its all about the drive for me... I just love it.

Thanks
    Last edited by crazy.ivan; 19-07-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20a2 ek
    i/h/e = intake headers and exhaust.
    best bang for your buck is drive train mods like upgrading clutch, flywheel and LSD.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    you can make it under 2k.
    just depends how you go about thing mate.
    decide what you want with the mods firstly.

in terms of exhaust, you can pick up a good aftermarket one in the parts for sale section if your lucky. or if you dont want to pay much for a brand new aftermarket one straight off the shelf, go to an exhaust shop and they can do something up for you

for your intake, to save a bit, do a diy job. keep the stock intake box, change the intake arm and drop a pod filter. there are heaps of threads on cold air intakes.

for the chip, i wouldnt worry about a chip. if you mean ecu, then i wouldnt do that just yet. do the basics first like eght said.. intake/headers/exhaust.

dyno tune will come with the ecu.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Ok, so my car, brand new, had 88kW.

1. How much would you say it has now?
    2. How much power gain do you think i would get from just upgrading DIY intake, nice headers and a decent exhaust system?
    3. What would that cost? $600? $1000?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    ek4 has 118kw at fly, about 80-90kw atw depending on dyno.

I'd do CAI, exhuast, suspension upgrade (usually rear swaybar + ASR, then springs & shocks), in that order, and see where your money lands you.

Flywheel & clutch are good if you have some decent power already. It usually cost effective to wait until the clutch is about up and then get the clutch & fly done if your on a budget. Also getting a really light fly can be annoying if its a daily driver. Bang for Buck get an ITR fly secondhand, and a excedy sport organic clutch when your ready to change.

getting the ECU will net you minor gains without the above anyway. You normally get the ECU done once you have all your mods in place and looking to finalise it all together. You also need to see which way you want to end up going with your car also.

I'll give you an example of myself when i got my ek4.

First only minor mods, now its had almost everything done to it, barring cracking open the engine to rebuild it.
    I only wanted a little power extra, then i got greedy, then i boosted it now i've upgraded the boost.

my ek4 use to make 90kw atw, then it was 162kw and soon to be 180+kw hopefully soon....

just my 2c
    Last edited by Limbo; 25-04-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    my ek4 use to make 90kw atw, then it was 162kw and soon to be 180+kw hopefully soon....
    good effort man

i have to agree with limbo.

best thing to do is go one step at a time, and not to try and do it all at once.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Jazz VTI...
    intake header exhaust should net u 100kw atw with a vafc on a mid reading dyno..

that is what an bolt on ek4 should expect..get cheaper 2nd hand headers if you can..esp those ppl with xforce headers upgrading to more exp jap brands.. they usually sell their xforce off for peanuts.. den use the savings for a set of decent tein springs at least.. to make ur car handle better..
    JDM Ek4 Squad Perth..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    Fact is you should get over ur EK4, cos its a POS FWD and its in the worse colour ever released.
    Get a real car then start bragging.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    I know that I am going to cop a massive beating over this mistake, but i feel it must be corrected... in a slip of my mind, i typed i had an EK4... but all i actualy have is and EK1... Sorry... does that change much?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    for the d16y then
    maybe just a axel back , intake

wouldnt spend much more..
    maybe some handling mods, coilovers, springs, struts if you have the view to go on further eg. engine swap.
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    so your saying its not worth doing I/H/E on the D16y?

Handling wise, its as good as i want it at the moment. I dont do track days or anything, so if im spending anything, it will just be for straight line speed.

so could anyone answer my post for before, but in reguards to the d16y:

Ok, so my car, brand new, had 88kW.

1. How much would you say it has now?
    2. How much power gain do you think i would get from just upgrading DIY intake, nice headers and a decent exhaust system?
    3. What would that cost? $600? $1000?

Thanks a bunch guys. If it wasn't for Ozhonda, I would have no hope of doing anything to my car.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    i had a d16y once upon a time
    and its not really worth it spending lots on it, thats why i said intake and exahust should keep you happy for a while. i had a cheapie short intake, 150bux?, xforce axel back 250 or so fitted

gains, maybe 5kw?
    might have around 60kw~ atw

if your looking for more power, then i suggest spend as minimal as you can now, save for a engine swap later.
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

1. hard to tell but should still be in the 80 something at least
    2.not too much extra power but the car will be nice and responsive. you wont regret doing i/h/e. my advice would be diy cai with a cheapie pod filter from autobarn or something, x force headers cost around $400 from the traders here and the exhaust system 2" or 2.25" with ur choice of muffler or cannon. for a little bit extra get a high flow cat and vafc.
    3.headers 400+ exhaust say 400ish( depends what muffler) + pod filter $20