Thread: valve springs

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG CIVIC HATCH

valve springs

hi, i'm rebuilding my h22a motor keeping it std. shells,rings, cam belt kit
    overhauled head. at the moment i"m assembling the cylinder head, iv'e
    replaced the seals (yes i do know the exh are diff to inl) but my question is iv'e measured the free length of the valve springs and they are all 1mm shorter than honda specs. again i realise all the spring are diff inner, outer, exhaust, inlet. do you thing this 1mm will be okay being new ones are hugely
    expensive. i will replace them only if i really MUST approx $700 is a lot of money for springs which i could put to much better use on other parts of the engine.
    i would appriciate any comments
    Kevin

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    1mm short hey, and thats without any tension, im not sure how much difference that would make but im sure one of the guys here can tell u, $700!!!!! r u talking about honda springs? why not look on ebay for something similar to these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-H22A-Pr...3286.m20.l1116 or http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VALVE...Q5fCarQ5fParts works out to about $355 AUD including postage if u got about 2 weeks to wait. just a thought, and im pretty sure some traders on here got some for sale to for wayyy under $700
    Last edited by B18cEG; 03-05-2009 at 01:25 AM.
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord
    Might be just me, but $700 seems a lot for mere valvesprings. You should be able to get some aftermarket ones (I know you're staying stock) for much less, even imported - e.g.
    http://www.fortyone.co.nz/parts/show...20Springs.html

Not sure about the length issue. It stands to reason that they may compress over time, esp in a high mileage motor. If they do, you're much more likely to encounter valve float at high rpm.
    On the other hand, I've never heard of a valvespring snapping, but if it did, you'll be doing yourself a bottom-end rebuild, for big money indeed.

Quick question along the same lines - I'm in Vic, and I can't find any information on whether valvetrain upgrades are legal, or need engineer's cert. Vicroads guide to modifying doesn't mention it. Any ideas anyone? thanks
    I wish I had a car...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Quick question along the same lines - I'm in Vic, and I can't find any information on whether valvetrain upgrades are legal, or need engineer's cert. Vicroads guide to modifying doesn't mention it. Any ideas anyone? thanks
    I really dont see how that would matter if you changed the valvesprings, lets say for example you changed your water pump to a non genuine, there not gonna say thats illegal, the other thing is that there not going to crack open your rocker cover and look inside, if you took a dead stock b16a for example and changed the valvesprings to better ones its not going to do anything in terms of power or emissions, just make it more reliable at high rpm.

On the other hand you may have been talking about camshafts???? in that case it would all depend on emissions rules of your state, here in wa we dont have emissions testing so i wouldnt know
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord
    'sright. I'd be looking at mild cams, valvesprings, retainers, probably not new valves or port grind.

I see your point, they're not going to pull the top end apart to have a look, but I'd be a lot happier if I was told that the whole thing is fine
    I wish I had a car...