Member Array
    Car:
    1988 Prelude

DIY Strut Brace?

Jus wondering if anyone has ever attempted to make their own strut brace? How did you go about it, and would it have the same effect as an aftemarket one?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    dont that, front and rear, lower and upper, very strong, cost me $0..... only time :P

Member Array
    Car:
    1988 Prelude
    do you have a write up on it by any chance mate?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    nope, just fabricated it off the top of my head, hardest one was the front strut tower bar, cause i had to make up U shaped brakets to bolt onto the tower.

good luck.

Member Array
    Car:
    1988 Prelude
    okay thanks mate. Also, i assume you used regular steel.....how much ddi the the materials set you back for jsut the front tower bar?

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I found this on the net for you ---> http://members.aol.com/c1j1miller/strutbrace.html I havent tried it myself, so do it at your own risk .
    If you scroll down you will see how he has made his brace. Looks fairly straight forward and not overly expensive, but I personally prefer spending the money and buying a tested product built by a quality brand. If you do attempt it good luck .
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    1988 Prelude
    Thanks for finding me the link for that Zdster.....much appreciated. Just had a quick read through it then, he used hollow steel tubing, mmmm not sure if that will do the job.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Yeah, I am not sure either. My preference would still be to purchase a quality, brand name product, but good luck either way.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    am bu lan
    i dont think making ur own struct brace is a good idea. it might look good...but will it do the job? there are plenty of good after market structs out in the market for very good prices. In the end the price u spend on parts might be a little bit cheaper but is it justified?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by spiller
    okay thanks mate. Also, i assume you used regular steel.....how much ddi the the materials set you back for jsut the front tower bar?
    used stainless and cost me $0

Member Array
    Car:
    1988 Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by faijai
    i dont think making ur own struct brace is a good idea. it might look good...but will it do the job? there are plenty of good after market structs out in the market for very good prices. In the end the price u spend on parts might be a little bit cheaper but is it justified?
    Well im pretty sure that there isnt much to the physics of a strut bar. Simply a bar that provides resistance between the strut towers in order to stiffen up the front of the car......

So i reckon if you can make one at the cost of only materials it would be a pretty worthwhile project.