Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic MY09

Civic maintenance

Hi guys, I have recently purchased a brand new honda civic VTI, couldn't be happier.

Anyway I was reading the manual and it was recommended that I buy Honda range of motor oil, transmission fluid, coolant, power steering oil etc to properly maintain the civic.

I just wana get some opinions on this, are people on this forum mostly use Honda's product or do they just get products off autoshops like Castrol etc. If so, are there specific 3rd party products made for Civic lines. (sorry I have very little knowledge of car and let alone maintenance).

thanks people

well....they also say dont mod yer car..
    and are you gonna mod it?

if you are gonna mod yer civic, then what the manual says would be BS
    you can use their products, but that'll be doubling or triple the cost you get for a similar quality aftermarket product

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Civic Sport
    mate, you can really use anything. oil is oil, as long as its the correct type of oil, having a honda logo on the bottle of oil wont make a difference, as well as transmission fluid etc. may i ask why you ask these questions? if you dont know anything about maintaining cars etc, then surely you yourself wont be conducting the services... and if you got a cheaper shop to do it then that would be fine, so long as its not some really dodgy place which would void your warranty, otherwise just get honda to service it, they usually cost me below $200 a service, so its not as much a rip off as say Audi and BMW as when we get those serviced, they are around the $600 mark

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fung View Post
    well....they also say dont mod yer car..
    and are you gonna mod it?

if you are gonna mod yer civic, then what the manual says would be BS
    you can use their products, but that'll be doubling or triple the cost you get for a similar quality aftermarket product
    Point noted however please do not mislead. Honda OEM power steering fluid for one is a must as everything damages the seals and eventually the pump itself will fail, not sure what vehicle it was but if it has CVT transmission another Honda only fluid there or the start clutch will require replacing. And usual fluids such as Oil and coolant you may use aftermarket as long as you stay within the specifications usually found in the service manual.

I use Castrol Magnetic for my moms car and stick with OEM filters.
    Why hello there

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EU3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
    oil is oil, as long as its the correct type of oil, having a honda logo on the bottle of oil wont make a difference, as well as transmission fluid etc.
    Not what Castrol thinks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY
    "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

Quote Originally Posted by shadou View Post
    Point noted however please do not mislead. Honda OEM power steering fluid for one is a must as everything damages the seals and eventually the pump itself will fail, not sure what vehicle it was but if it has CVT transmission another Honda only fluid there or the start clutch will require replacing. And usual fluids such as Oil and coolant you may use aftermarket as long as you stay within the specifications usually found in the service manual.

I use Castrol Magnetic for my moms car and stick with OEM filters.

true that, but yeah i am a noob, ive still got a lot to learn =P i dont know whats necessary yet for a OEM product, but my point was, everything you buy, they recommend you should buy genuine products after.... Its like buying authentic DVDs to watch...its a should, but who really does it, every1 ended up watching them online, downloading them...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EU3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fung View Post
    true that, but yeah i am a noob, ive still got a lot to learn =P i dont know whats necessary yet for a OEM product, but my point was, everything you buy, they recommend you should buy genuine products after.... Its like buying authentic DVDs to watch...its a should, but who really does it, every1 ended up watching them online, downloading them...
    I don't want to be one on specifics but digital data is pretty much 100% of what source it came from and engine oils and digital media aren't exactly the same boat =P . In terms of your car oils are different and thats where there are differences, just stick to whats within the requirements and there are people who have had different experiences with different oils so just keep ur eye out on what everyone thinks. I think you should just be happy that car is running hehehe.

LOL~~ then i guess i shouldnt be surprised if my car blew up one day XD

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    For brake fluid, clutch fluid (manual), gearbox fluid (auto and manual), power steering fluid and coolant, you should use Honda OEM stuff. For engine oil, you can use any engine oil as long as the viscosity is correct, and the quality is better than Honda FEO engine oil. So stuff like Mobil Synth S (Mobil 2000) or Castrol Edge 5w-30 will be good, while others like Castrol GTX3 15w-40 is not so good.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EU3
    Hahaah engine oil, refer to my first post XD

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic MY09
    If I buy the engine oil from autoshops, is there like a chart or table what tells you what engine oil goes with honda cars? or just stick with the Mobil Synth S (Mobil 2000) or Castrol Edge 5w-30. But I don't actually see any specifications for engine oil in the manual like someone suggested.

I think with coolant, brake fluid using third party products wouldnt be too bad.

With transmission fluid and power steering, I am not so sure on these two, anyway I just wanted to know what everyone is using, Honda OEM or aftermarket.

While your car is under warranty. OEM all the way..