Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    04 Accord Euro Luxury

My windscreen cracked.

Well i went driving to Canberra today and done some tourist action and while i was driving through the streets of Canberra, i heard a cracking sound. I was wondering where it came from and i noticed that a 15cm crack had formed at the bottom of the windscreen. I went out to inspect it and no damage was occurred to it from the outside, so when i glide my finger across it from the outside or even the inside, i can't feel any abrasions but i see it.

I rang up AAMI, hoping under my comprehensive insurance they would repair it but they said i didn't take out the 45 dollar protection which would have gave me a new windscreen and so on. She goes that i can pay the excess of $500 and they will repair it. I told her the whole windscreen would cost much less than that amount and hanged up.

Anyways, i'll take a picture tomorrow but are these forms of cracks repairable? What's the cheapest company that will do this service?

Member Array
    Car:
    nsx
    15cm crack is too big to repair
    I'd rather walk way from something saying "that was too hard" than walk away saying "that was too easy"
    ***GREEK PRIDE METER***
    █████████████████████ 100%

pretty sure if cracks are formed from side of windscreen it's unrepairable.... roughly around the size of 1dollar coin is repariable
    Who's your messiah now!

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Accord Euro Luxury
    A company called Ultra Bond Windscreen Repairs say that they can do:

"Long Crack Repairs
    Cracks to 18 inches from the edge, or in the middle of the screen "

http://www.ultrabond.com.au/articles/article3.html

It's in the middle of screen but starts from the bottom, so i'm hoping it's possible. ****ing AAMI, i don't feel like buying a new windscreen

yea if it's in the middle you do have more chances of saving it. but in regards to repairing cracks to 18inch is questionable
    Who's your messiah now!

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Accord Euro Luxury
    How much does it normally cost for a windscreen replacement? O'Brien doesn't even give figures. I know O'Brien is a rip off, so who is best and cheaper?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK
    why dont u ring up the insurance company tell them to put it on your policy than ring than back week later and say ur windscreen cracked. thats if you can add it into the policy

No idea, never had the problem before *touchwood*

Could give Nova a call? I think they are Sydney based
    Who's your messiah now!

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Accord Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    why dont u ring up the insurance company tell them to put it on your policy than ring than back week later and say ur windscreen cracked. thats if you can add it into the policy
    I thought of that a second after ringing them but then thought "****"! Wouldn't they have made a note?

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Accord Euro Luxury
    Damn O'Brien quoted me $755 for it because i had the rain sensor and all that bullshit.

Better to pay the excess and do it through insurance. Have to ring around some more.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 1999 Hatch
    The crack is def too big to repair. Too risky.

A friend of mine had a crack in their ED Civic hatch repaired recently, it just ended up splitting again. Lucky they complained enough and got the company to put some funds towards a new windshield.

So if you go through insurance, ensure that they replace the glass
    "Do the right thing...or not at all"

Member Array
    Car:
    '01 Civic VTi
    ring around....don't go to the big name companies.
    i had a windscreen replaced for around 250-300 a couple years ago...i remember obrien quoted 500+

the difference is they use generic brand instead of the ones from manufacturers...he even replaced all the seals for me....which obriens said would be extra if THEY ripped it.

This place was out around smithfiled area...can't remember.