Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude, Civic, Firestorm

Overheated motor

Hi guys,

Think I've done some damage to my head. Popped a heater hose when I was driving and cooked the motor I think. There's no white in the oil and the level hasn't dropped, there's no bubbles in the radiator but the compression's stuffed. Its got no power at more than 15% throttle.

Think i might have to machine my head. Do you know anyone good that machines heads in Sydney? Or would I be better off with a replacement head from the wreckers?

What else could have gone wrong? And how should I check?

I have a h22a converted 93 'lude.

Cheers for your help and input.

Banned Array
    At Your Local Shopping center picking up 15 year olds!
    Car:
    DC5-S
    Take it to your mechanic and ask him to do a compression test, if its loosing compression then youll need to replace the head Gasket, in the mean time whilst the head is of the car it will be sent out to be machined!
    Send out the raditor to get cleaned and replace the heater hoses & use new clamps not the old ones!

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 (ED9 with B16A)
    Before you do anything, check to see if it's not your thermostat just stuck closed..
    CRS3X

Member Array
    Car:
    1995 eg civic VTi
    you should remove your water pump and check that it spins free, and not leaking. if you going to trouble to investigate overheating, then check this aswell, might as well when you remove the head....

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    there is a leakdown test, they put a chemical in a tube & stick it in the radiator, if your head gasket is busted, it changes colour due to the exhaust Co2 is in the radiator.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude, Civic, Firestorm
    Hey thanks for the help.

Did the leakdown test and it came back negative: Head gasket's still good!! But what's goin on then?? The mech I took it to was sure it was a temperature related fuel delivery problem as it was only occuring after warming up.

Ended up discovering I'd killed the sensor that tells the ecu when its warm enough to allow the 'secondaries' to open up. Bypassed the sensor and she's all fixed!! Yay! Whole lot cheaper than I thought It'd be.

well done mate
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good