Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yes, I believe our cars can maintain high RPM for short spurts (Type R's)
    The world of type R's is proof in itself

God knows I always bounce off the rev-limiter atleast 4-5 times a session hahaha... but then, I get my valve clearance checked more than most and I virtually change oil every 2-3000kms (gets expensive). Gearbox oil if Honda MTF - i'll change at the same time (after track), but with syntrax or motul the shifting feels smoother for longer.

My engine is stock - but i have tried to improve reliability ...

Oil cooler, baffled pan - the next thing I gotta watch out for is high water temp

gelo: that's a good habit, and I don't think you'll have any issues - of course the risk gets higher as the age of the engine grows... but you'd naturally expect that.

My last stock car (Corolla SX) - I was still tracking it @ 250,000km and that car never gave me any problems - I just checked and serviced things earlier.

Also its good to see what you can do in a stock car, coz when you start modding it, you appreciate the improvements and you've got a baseline for comparison!

Personally I didn't start modding till I wanted to push my car harder for longer ....
    but that's where the fun really begins hahah

great post Euge, I'd agree with everything euge said.

In saying that I've tracked MY VTI-R and it doesnt have oil coolers and what not, I limit my driving to about 7-8 hard laps, I change oil before and after a track day and gearbox oil too if need be.

but i'd think an oil cooler and a baffled sump is a very worthwhile upgrade.

Euge - time for an alluminuim oil cooler me thinks , but your car is built with brains for the track, Euge proves that power is not everything at the last track day.

Yeah do it dave go a 16row!

And what the hell do u mean that I proved power is not everything? ahhaha
    You're the faster mofo - who proves ek's are just as fast as r's - Tinkerbell also broke the laws of physics
    Last edited by euGeR; 07-03-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by euGeR
    Yeah do it dave go a 16row!

And what the hell do u mean that I proved power is not everything? ahhaha
    You're the faster mofo - who proves ek's are just as fast as r's - Tinkerbell also broke the laws of physics
    hahah im telling you too get the radiator..
    im not the one out there doing 15 + laps a session.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    i agree with wat ppl say about not doing too many laps. 5 laps etc, maybe a few more if its a cool day or a couple less if its hot. oil coolers and baffled sumps are a great idea!

hey did anyone else know that h22a engine have a built in oil cooloer, there is an oil line which runs through a pipe full of the water out of the radiator, while not as effective an 'front mount' oil cooler, its better than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by h22a accord

hey did anyone else know that h22a engine have a built in oil cooloer, there is an oil line which runs through a pipe full of the water out of the radiator, while not as effective an 'front mount' oil cooler, its better than nothing!
    nearly all VTEC engines have this
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    nearly all VTEC engines have this
    AFAIK , most honda engines have a oil cooler of sorts too - my D series d16a8 has a small oil cooler on the back of the block too - water direct from/to waterpump runs thru it to cool it down i think?

*back on topic*

Member Array
    Car:
    Ventura Bus Route
    on the topic of a more appropriate radiator, has anyone had any experience?
    anything interchangable with other models, or even aftermarket aluminium ones?
    cheers

a clean OEM radiator is more than appropriate,

if you are overheating it is usually due to too much timing (and therefore pinging) or another engine problem.

if you are overheating once you come into the pits, then you are not doing enough of a cool down lap...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    Ventura Bus Route
    tinkerbell i would do a cool down lap and it would go down to its appropriate temp quickly, it would be fine by the time i was in the pits, problem was only while i was driving hard. and pinging was not an issue...do you think that it was almost 30degrees it could have been genuinely hot???

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    Hey guys i have been racing my stock honda's at hill climbs and track events at morgan park (Warick) for the last three years and i havn't blown a think. In the first year i was racing my stock 1986 SiR import civic. This year i have been racing my newer 1988 CRX. i raced it about a week ago and the only thing that was a problem was the brakes... They over heated after 2 laps or so. I guess it depends how many laps you want to do, but i havn't had a problem yet.

I've tracked my civic with a 16 row oil cooler, and a twin core radiator (not aluminium), I can pretty much go for 15 laps non stop and it will be under or at 100 degrees during summer. It will last through a whole session and still give me consistent power. Most of the time, the car outlast my fitness though, it gets extremely hot and tiring.

I am not saying to go for such a big oil cooler (I got it because I got it really cheap on e-bay). But all of these do keep ur engine more reliable and obviously a peace of mind. If you guys are looking into getting a radiator, there's always the 2nd option of recoiling ur existing radiator or a 2nd hand stock one. twin core is enough but triple core if you wish.