Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type R

EG Civic question!

Hi all, long time since I've posted, but looking to buy an EG and have come to a fork in the road (choosing between two cars)

1) 1991 EG SI Civic - 270k
    2) 1994 EG GLI Civic - 220k

The 94 is more expensive, but does have rego, the 91 is lowered, and does not come with a RWC but it prob requires std. springs, airfilter and maybe a steering rack (felt funny upon driving)

Know, I know that the SI is more desirable i.e. the 1.6@96kw, but which should I choose? the GLI is in good condition, but is after all a GLI (but being the later model is equipped with airbag, electrics etc)

Tell me which should I go for?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    What do you want out of the car?

And how much in price different are we talking about?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    whichever doesnt owe money, need work to drive, doesnt have large dents or rust, smell like fish or have anything missing
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 / JDM ITR (soon)
    Depends, if your willing to work on your car. I would chose Si, since I have one. GLI is nothing special.

Maybe post up some pics, if it's abit of rust it's alright just work on it to get rid of it. Dents can be worked on. Depends on what you like mate. How much are the 2 cars? Pics?
    Honda Civic EG parts needed (Sydney):

APEXI WS2 (MUFFLER) OR SIMILAR - SPOON DUCKBILL (REPLICA) - EG6 CLUSTER - MUDFLAPS - XENON HID KIT (6000K)

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type R
    All i'm after is a daily beater. the 1.6 is pokey, but it does have 270k after all. Neither owe money (i think), they both have loose front bars and thankfully neither smell like fish

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type R
    Si - $2000 but needs at least $600 to drive (rego, springs, extras)
    Gli - $3200, but have offered $2700 (sit in and drive)

The GLi is also lowered, front and rear strut braces and is a 94 model (electric windows, srs steering wheel, a/c etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr EG View Post
    Depends, if your willing to work on your car. I would chose Si, since I have one. GLI is nothing special.

Maybe post up some pics, if it's abit of rust it's alright just work on it to get rid of it. Dents can be worked on. Depends on what you like mate. How much are the 2 cars? Pics?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 / JDM ITR (soon)
    I'd pick the Si over anything, DOHC is sexy

In the long run you are gonna spend money on your car anyways if your planning to mod it etc... So why not go with the Si? But my opinion I wouldn't buy anything over 170,000km. And do a REV's check on both cars.
    Last edited by Mr EG; 01-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.

APEXI WS2 (MUFFLER) OR SIMILAR - SPOON DUCKBILL (REPLICA) - EG6 CLUSTER - MUDFLAPS - XENON HID KIT (6000K)

i'd go the 94.. gli still goes alright, you don't need any power neway, plus 96kw is nothing, so gli is like 74kw? who cares about 20kw lol, go for the newer one and less Ks and with more options and less hassle to get it going. gli has more options, safer, and 3 years newer, with less Ks..

rather be safe aswell, airbags bla bla.

my mate had a gli wit 255000kms, still went strong so yeah but its up 2 you
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    Interesting, but not-so unique pickle you're in!..

I'd say Si, purely on the fact that it has more potential with it's engine and brake package that it already has.

Twin cam + 4 wheel disc brakes > single cam + rear drums

You can always retrofit some rear disc to the GLi, but that would cost money!..Though I can see you're consideration of the Gli with it's airbag.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type R
    In the long run it will get a b16.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 / JDM ITR (soon)
    My opinion I don't like B16, everyone has them.

If you're gonna get a B16 then get the Si since it cheaper anyways. And then get your engine conversion.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAKU View Post
    i'd go the 94.. gli still goes alright, you don't need any power neway, plus 96kw is nothing, so gli is like 74kw? who cares about 20kw lol, go for the newer one and less Ks and with more options and less hassle to get it going. gli has more options, safer, and 3 years newer, with less Ks..

rather be safe aswell, airbags bla bla.

my mate had a gli wit 255000kms, still went strong so yeah but its up 2 you

Yeah but don't tell me if you could get one with 116kw you wouldn't get it instead of the Si with 96kw, right? 20kw is a fair difference at that level I think.

But you're right, get the newer one with lower KMs if you're doing a swap...