Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK

Suggestion of motec Ecu for K20

Hi guys,

At the moment, I am using Hondata Kpro for my K20. However, I am facing the BIGGEST issue where there's non hondata tuner in Perth!! I know it sound funny but yeah, is TRUE!! NON IN WA

So, it means I can't TUNE MY CAR!!! I had to load the calibration myself from Hondata website and it doesn't match my mods.

Thus, I am thinking of why not just switching to Motec. BUT, I dun know anything about Motec and it haven't been covered up much in Ozhonda.

Thus, I would like some opinion on which Motec should I go, how they function and how much would it cost to setup and get tuned.

After reading through some article n found i can use the cheapest M4 for 4 cyc k20. it had 3dimensional map but not sure if it similar to honda. or M400 but it is too $$$.

Anyone here used Motec? would like some input from eryone before i move forward to them.

cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    IMO you'd be best off driving to the nearest Hondata tuner.

If you were to come to Sydney there is a place for you to stay at my place matey.
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

I've heard Kpro is the way to go with K20 mate. Find yourself a tuner!
    d e e p S i x [d6]™

I think the motec can do what the hondata can and more.

just a lot more money.

drive your car to Sydney to get it tuned.

Or pay my air ticket to WA and back, plus fuel.

I will drive your car to Sydney to tune and back to you at no charge.

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    hondata = honda only n motec u can use for many cars.

Best thing you can do if you want to stay local in WA is find out who are all your main tuners and talk to them about what ecu to run since they'll be the ones tuning your car all the time, they might not even recommend Motec... they might recommend you something else. I doubt you'd be wanting to drive to Sydney all the time for a touch up tune for an extra mod.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    have you tried Cypher Inustries? they do honda engine swaps and alot of honda work, honbits is just around the corner from them

you can also try RMS, leigh hynes is a fantastic tuner, and he was the state rally champ last year

WA kinda sux for JDM tuning and parts support ... ive been down this road before ... it sux lol
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    murcielago
    motec, if your a baller go for it! i would have went for motec if it was a reasonable price.
    EG5 Powered by DR HONDA
    Tune By: Scott @ Insight Motorsport

QSR Customs

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    if the tuner cant tune a K20 with kpro,then they would not have much hope of tuning a k20 with any other ecu.

find someone who is confident tuning a k,& tell them the software is freely available on the net & will take a few seconds to download & install & is very easy to use.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    I wish i could drive to Sydney, but
    Pertol + fine + selling Kpro = Motec + install & tuned :P

the honbits selling parts only. being there couple times. nvr seem them doing mechanic job or tuning.

Mostly, WA ppl still more comfortable with B series. thus Power FC, apexi neo is common choice over here. too bad apexi doesn't make power fc for K series.

there were still very very & very limited ppl wanna kseries.

Quote Originally Posted by CRXer View Post
    if the tuner cant tune a K20 with kpro,then they would not have much hope of tuning a k20 with any other ecu.

find someone who is confident tuning a k,& tell them the software is freely available on the net & will take a few seconds to download & install & is very easy to use.
    this is very true... I was going to say the same thing.

any good tuner who has experience tuning a variable valve timing engine should find tuning a kpro very easy.

since the base maps come with the correct settings for the idle/cold start all they really have to do is tune for full throttle power.

Also, a Motec m4 won't run a k20 since it can't control variable valve timing.

For that you need an m400, and about $10,000 in the bank. No joke, the retail price for a variable valve timing enabled motec m400 is over $4000.

Stick with kpro and search harder for a good tuner, it's really the only reasonably priced option.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    As suggested find a tuner, also someone that can tune a motec or the like will be familair enough with tuning software and be able to tune the hondata, other option would be to consider hiring a local dyno and getting a tuner to come to you, it would be cheaper then going the motec route, and the motec wont gain you any more power or drivability, if anything it will be worse unless alot of time is spent getting all the little things right which can take days such as cold start, running air con, ect, not to mention its plug and play and the car can be returned to stock if or when you might want to.

Goodluck.
    Last edited by Slaz; 08-09-2009 at 01:12 AM.