Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport
    useful info here... thanks guys...

Member Array
    Car:
    Gc subaru
    churr
    Quote oh dear ****ing lawd. my d*ck did more than move. it jumped out of my pants, and tore the fly open....

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I have seen turbo timers that can be installed for NA applications, I lol'd at first then seen a few cars locally with them fitted

beat the christ thro it, coast and park up, seem to work for us, only the s13 we cool off for several minutes as the dump pipe is molten orange after a good spirited drive

and new factory turbo cars don't need a turbo timer as they have sophisticated turbochargers compared to the decade old JDM cars of the past in which they can be turned off with no damaged, have several xr6 BFs around work and we just turn them on and off and haven't had a problem
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Quote Originally Posted by EK1.6LCIV View Post
    I have seen turbo timers that can be installed for NA applications, I lol'd at first then seen a few cars locally with them fitted
    Designed to part the unwise and wankers from their cash...

and new factory turbo cars don't need a turbo timer as they have sophisticated turbochargers compared to the decade old JDM cars of the past in which they can be turned off with no damaged, have several xr6 BFs around work and we just turn them on and off and haven't had a problem
    I'll bet these turbos are water cooled...

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    sorry to spam John, but I couldn't resist but to post a pic of the item autobarn is flogging off, only noticed it when we placed an order for a unit for the s13, lol

I vaguely remember the sales person quoting that cooling down an NA car had benefits for the waterpump, lol

quoted from Apexi, lol

In Japan, the Auto Timer is frequently used in normally-aspirated cars. Like turbo engines, normally aspirated engines can benefit from cool-down idling after a hard run. Many have also found it useful for keeping the A/C running on a hot day.
    Last edited by EK1.6LCIV; 06-10-2009 at 03:54 PM.
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Says "can" benefit and not "will" benefit. Heheheheh.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    I know its pretty useless to put a Turbo timer on an NA car.

but after extreme driving/racing, couldnt the burnt oil issue apply to engines too?
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, R6
    Quote Originally Posted by flipfire View Post

but after extreme driving/racing, couldnt the burnt oil issue apply to engines too?
    Generally after tracking a car you will do a warm down lap, if not 2, and your oil temps will plateau out to a reasonable oil temp.

Your discs, pads and brake fluid take a little more to cool down. i.e. don't put the hand brake on after a session/race as this may warp the discs.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Says "can" benefit and not "will" benefit. Heheheheh.
    That will be that more esoteric definition of 'can', i.e. 'can' as in 'doesn't'...

I vaguely remember the sales person quoting that cooling down an NA car had benefits for the waterpump,
    Now, I just don't believe that...

quoted from Apexi, lol
    Quote:
    In Japan, the Auto Timer is frequently used in normally-aspirated cars.
    Why is it that "in Japan" or 'JDM' are so often used like mantras to imply that something must be unarguably the best way to do something or the best product? It's just not true...

quoted from Apexi, lol
    Quote:
    Like turbo engines, normally aspirated engines can benefit from cool-down idling after a hard run.
    It certainly won't hurt, but its's far from being needed, or at least it's far from needed to have a gizmo to do it for you. I wouldn't recommend shutting off any engine seconds after a very hard run, but by the time you've parked the car it's 'idled' down enough.

quoted from Apexi, lol
    Quote:
    Many have also found it useful for keeping the A/C running on a hot day.
    Or, you could perhaps leave the engine running as in; don't turn the key to 'off'...

Quote Originally Posted by flipfire View Post

The hottest parts will be the exhaust valve, the pistons and the rings.

The exhaust valve won't be damaged by burnt oil unless quite a lot of oil is being deposited on the valve (suggesting a sick engine...) which can cause thick deposits that can interfere with gas flow, but don't really hurt the valve itself.

The rings and ring lands are the area most likely to be affected by burnt oil deposits (clagging up the rings in the grooves and causing 'stuck' rings), but they are cooled quite quickly by their proximity to the relatively cool bore wall, and will be much hotter while the engine is running hard anyway (i.e. they will start to cool immediately the engine is shut down).

The deal with ('uncooled') turbocharger bearings is that they are cooler when the engine / turbo is running due to the cooling effect of the oil flow through the bearings, but when the oil flow stops, the bearings don't start to cool down, nor even stay at the same temp, they get hotter still because of heat soak from the very hot turbo casing. That's when the oil left in the bearings start to burn.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, R6
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post

Why is it that "in Japan" or 'JDM' are so often used like mantras to imply that something must be unarguably the best way to do something or the best product? It's just not true...

I couldn't agree with you more.

There are plenty of JDM fanboys on here that will disagree......