Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic

paint chips - looking for cheap and easy fix

I just noticed these four small paint chips yesterday. The are located on the rear driver's side fender. The biggest and deepest chip (the most bottom chip) measures about 1.5mm in diameter while the other 3 chips are less that 1mm in diameter and not as deep. They can only be seen when the boot is open.

I am perplexed as to what might have caused these as this area is totally covered by the rear spoiler and can only be seen while the boot is open. I am wondering what are some possible easy and cheap fixes? I am not too concerned about a factory finish because they are not usually visible, however, I want to be able to protect them against rusting.

Is it possible some tool or appliance might have caused this while they installed the rear spoiler?

Last edited by unity; 13-10-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    sticky tape

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriskoss View Post
    sticky tape
    That's a bit too cheap. Something more permanent. Obviously touch up paint would be an option. Do you know how much a professional fix would cost by the way?
    Last edited by unity; 12-10-2009 at 11:33 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    SeeYou2
    Cheap? Get them nail polish thingys - the clear ones. Just make sure there's absolutely no rust first. You wouldn't wanna "seal" the rust in there now would ya?
    (づ ̄3 ̄)づ

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by nickxau View Post
    Cheap? Get them nail polish thingys - the clear ones. Just make sure there's absolutely no rust first. You wouldn't wanna "seal" the rust in there now would ya?
    Better off using touchup paint Not that expensive anyway.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Accord EURO
    i bought a bottle of night hawk black from honda for $17
    wunna fight Q('.'Q)

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Better off using touchup paint Not that expensive anyway.
    I took my car to an automotive paint shop in Bayswater and the guy told me that the chips haven't disturbed the primer so there should not be any concerns about rusting. Is this true? So he said it doesn't need touch up paint.

He also mentioned that the chips look "very clean" indicating that they are very recent. He also thinks the chips could only have been caused while the boot was open. This makes me think that this was caused by the panel shop when the replaced my rear bumper last week. I confirmed with Honda today that they would had to have opened the boot to remove and replace the rear bumper.

Now waiting for an assessment from AAMI. Why should I pay for something I didn't cause?

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by ndeuro_ View Post
    i bought a bottle of night hawk black from honda for $17
    Yeah touch up paint is cheap as. This shop was charging $12.