Member Array
    Car:
    8thGen Civic VTi

Unhappy Need a new remote/key for FD1

Hey all, i lost my key at work on Thursday so down to my spare

Honda quoted me 350 to get a new key. does anyone know if i can get it done cheaper elsewhere? apparently theres a transponder in the key that you need to start the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CM6 CU2
    yea there's a transponder on the key remote part of the key. without this the car won't start.

you could try buying a key from ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...Q5fAccessories

which'll end up being AU$50-70, and bring it to honda and ask them to cut and program it for you, which should be less than $100.

i'm pretty sure it'll work, but check that the FCCID is the same as your spare.

Quote Originally Posted by chenny View Post
    yea there's a transponder on the key remote part of the key. without this the car won't start.

you could try buying a key from ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...Q5fAccessories

which'll end up being AU$50-70, and bring it to honda and ask them to cut and program it for you, which should be less than $100.

i'm pretty sure it'll work, but check that the FCCID is the same as your spare.
    The key you posted is Accord/ tsx/ euro, it use different FEQ to FD1 (it using separate transponder chip). FD1 & 2 using on-board transponder chip.

Quote Originally Posted by xenfacta View Post
    Hey all, i lost my key at work on Thursday so down to my spare

Honda quoted me 350 to get a new key. does anyone know if i can get it done cheaper elsewhere? apparently theres a transponder in the key that you need to start the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    I know a guy in melbourne can do it for just $150. But he need your original key to copy & copy the transponder chip. Then you need to program the keyless entry yourself (read the instruction & u can do it in5 mins).
    Last edited by kman2k; 10-11-2009 at 04:40 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    8thGen Civic VTi
    yeah but he's in melbourne..... shiiiiet

Banned Array
    Car:
    98 Civic
    I'm pretty sure you can buy any other key from ebay. Don't necessarily have to bring it to honda. Try your nearest mechanic maybe? My mechanic did it for me, just bought the key from ebay and he did the rest at a low cost hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by timoding View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can buy any other key from ebay. Don't necessarily have to bring it to honda. Try your nearest mechanic maybe? My mechanic did it for me, just bought the key from ebay and he did the rest at a low cost hope that helps.
    which key do you have ? FD1 key?. I asked over 5 locksmith store & they say they can make the key but can not copy the transponder chip of the FD model.

Member Array
    Car:
    8thGen Civic VTi
    yeah they can cut the key but with out the transponder its useless.

on a positive note, i just got a call from work saying that the customer found my key in their car
    problem solved.