Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi

Question USA EK "Timing Belt Kits" work in AU EK's?

About to buy a EK timing belt kit from ebay for D16Y5. Anyone used these are they ok and are there any issues with RHD vs LHD?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...Q5fAccessories

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...Q5fAccessories

Kits come with everything including timing belt and water pump and seals

Also anyone suggest against ebaying these items Re quality etc.

Any advice appreciated

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    been using these kits for ages, good shit

Honda doesn't make alot of things in house, most of it's sub contracted anyhow and rebadged, in this dept it's ok to use substitutions

oem seals is all I would use, oem equivalent water pumps, tensioner pulleys and belts are fine

there is no diff in terms of what position the driver is in to the belt locations

what engine do you have tho?
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic hatch
    i have used many, good but the timing belt from this particular mob are a bit iffy but still good. The waterpump, seals and gasket is from a company called Evergreen, which are a very large US automotive company. The strong rubber smelling timing belt is a chinese company called CHS.

you need to find the US equivalent to your d16y8? such as d16a8AU is a d16a9US, etc
    Last edited by chowdaa; 11-11-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by EK1.6LCIV View Post
    been using these kits for ages, good shit

Honda doesn't make alot of things in house, most of it's sub contracted anyhow and rebadged, in this dept it's ok to use substitutions

oem seals is all I would use, oem equivalent water pumps, tensioner pulleys and belts are fine

there is no diff in terms of what position the driver is in to the belt locations

what engine do you have tho?
    Cheers for the help guys

I've got a a 97 vti sedan so its the D16Y5 (e-vtec). "oem seals is all I would use" Are you saying I should buy just the seals direct from honda or that the ones in the kit are fine?

Thanks again
    Rob

Edit: I think I'll order today, I can get this kit including shipping (6 days) (http://www.jdmdirectory.com/store/96...143620704.html) for $128US ($137AUD). Not bad

Is there anything you can suggest doing for the 100k service?
    Edit2: just found a thread i had saved i should be doing (timing belt, air con belt, power steering belt, alternator belt, water pump, cam seals, cam cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, CV boots, steering boots). So it seems the only thing that kit doesn't have is cv and steering boots, oh and the aircon, power steering and alternator belts.
    Last edited by rob1000; 11-11-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    the kit I bought had oem seals in it for the engine as they're less than $2 in the USA from Honda as opposed to the $34 you will pay for the two here at any local dealer

everything else in the kit fit spot on just like oem and with over 60oookm on it so far since install all is good

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    the kit I bought had oem seals in it for the engine as they're less than $2 in the USA from Honda as opposed to the $34 you will pay for the two here at any local dealer

everything else in the kit fit spot on just like oem and with over 60oookm on it so far since install all is good
    That does it then, Im ordering now

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    if you're doing the job yourself get a hold of a hayne's manual, talks it up rather well

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    if you're doing the job yourself get a hold of a hayne's manual, talks it up rather well
    Yeah i still gotta get hold of a Haynes manual

Cheers mate

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book...-Repair-Manual

bookdepository is godly. All books Free shipping worldwide.

haynes manual - $22.66US including shipping. Bargin

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    mate that book will help you alot, better than anything else I have

hell I use it to work on the gf's nissan (rear brakes are the same at a vti-r in terms of style and torque settings) in terms of procedures and explainations

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    mate that book will help you alot, better than anything else I have

hell I use it to work on the gf's nissan (rear brakes are the same at a vti-r in terms of style and torque settings) in terms of procedures and explainations
    awesome, yeah i actually have a haynes manual for my suzuki bike It's now just helped me remove the back wheel, and changed the (dead) rear wheel bearings by myself... never done that before on a bike or even car wheel! So was good to learn something new I'm sure this book will pay for its self pretty quickly

Cheers for your help mate
    Rob

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    far out that was quick. Already received that timing belt kit