Horn and Cruise control stopped working..???

Hey guys,

recently noticed my horn has stopped working, a few days later noticed my cruise control stopped working also, (conveniently soon after i got my car back from mechanic checking some other issues...)

i checked the fuse and it was blown. i replaced the fuse, and the horn worked again, but when i tried it again later, it had stopped working. low and behold, fuse blown yet again.

I called up my mech, he said it was probably the 'prog spring' ? in the steering, and they are $300 for a brand new one, and 2 hours labour to replace.

Does anybody know what else it could be. i don't particularly want to spend $450 to fix a horn that shouldnt have shat itself in the first place.

Cheers

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    it does sound like the the SRS clock spring

however they are about $700 new and only take abour 30 min to replace.
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 23-11-2009 at 08:20 AM.

^was waitin for your reply ecu man

do you think there is any other possible cause?

and do you think getting a 2nd hand clock spring from a wreckers or something is a viable option? my mech said its easy to break when removing, if the worker doesn't know what they are doing...

Car:
    twin GX160's
    a second hand clock spring is an option as long as it comes with some sort of warranty that it will work when you fit it.

however if its been removed or installed incorectly you can very easily damage a clock spring, new or second hand.

ecu man, is this the correct part that i need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...91710003r32046

oh and also, my brake lights are out now also, which I think is due to the blown Horn fuse...seems strange to have the 2 connected but anywho...

Car:
    twin GX160's
    that is what the part looks like.

you will need to get one for the same vintage prelude you have, also if you get one from the US I am unsure of its compatibility with our cars.

I would do some diagnostics before just buying one and plugging it in to find it was not the fault.

you need to do a continuity test on your exsisting unit to proove that it is infact the fault.

ok I am trying to find the part number for the clock spring (cable reel) that i need.

I've called 3 honda dealers so far, 2 of which could not find the part, and 1 which gave me an incorrect part number.

how am i supposed to find the part when honda themselves can't... lol. does panda crx still work at honda? might have to give him a PM :S

can anybody pick the clockspring from this diagram?

Thanks

Car:
    twin GX160's
    23 is the closest thing to it