Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Quote Originally Posted by cymax View Post
    woah, im no professional man. it's more for hobby and convenience. Think you guys are right. I might drop the idea on getting an expensive impact wrench. I'll just get a breaker bar and torque wrench. Breaker bar to loosen the lug nut and for some of my own stuff and torque wrench to tighten it.
    great idea my personal preference is for the click-style wrench as i find reading a beam-style wrench while torquing a bolt a bit of a pain. just make sure you don't drop it and you'll be fine with accuracy - after all these are lug nuts you're torquing, not something with small bolts/studs that has to be air-tight or water-tight or spins really fast

yeah there's some argument about click wrenches losing accuracy compared to beam wrenches, but i think that mostly happens if you're a pro that clicks your click wrench a few hundred times a day - not such a biggie for backyard guys who would be lucky to click their wrench a few times a month

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I'd rather hear a click in a hard to reach situation that have to focus on a beam personally

hours to adjust screw? lol hmmm, I don't expirence any of those difficulties lol
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by DEMON83 View Post
    FYI - u can get Electric Impact Wrench that runs from 12v socket in ur car for about $70 from Autobarn is good for removal of nuts and other hard to get/stubborn bits under the car... but as stated above always put nuts on by hand and torque up, 80ft.lbs or 103Nm is about right.
    The cheap ones claim 103Nm, but deliver nowhere near that. I have a cheap cordless one that claims 110Nm but even that has problems undoing my wheel nuts that are done up to only 90Nm when testing.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by EK1.6LCIV View Post
    I'd rather hear a click in a hard to reach situation that have to focus on a beam personally

hours to adjust screw? lol hmmm, I don't expirence any of those difficulties lol
    Quote Originally Posted by lithium View Post
    my personal preference is for the click-style wrench as i find reading a beam-style wrench while torquing a bolt a bit of a pain.
    The Warren and Brown models click.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    but if it's more than $50AU with a box and warranty for the av. home garage, once a every month use it's over kill
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

I could throw my torque wrench on ebay in a years time and get back what I paid for it. No one will buy a used $50 supercheap wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    The Warren and Brown models click.
    ah, pretty cool.

then again this *is* a Warren and Brown which is a professional quality tool. perhaps not the right thing for someone to buy who just uses it to do up lug nuts once a month

I stand by my opinion that the right tool to do up lug nuts is the wheel-brace that comes with your car.

I didn't find it hard to justify a high quality tool, and I'm just a home user. When you buy cheap tools (or parts), you end up buying them twice.

Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    I could throw my torque wrench on ebay in a years time and get back what I paid for it. No one will buy a used $50 supercheap wrench.
    dude how do you know your second hand wrench hasn't been abused, dropped, run over by a car...perhaps it's why it was on ebay? do you really trust it's accuracy more than a cheapie with warranty and a calibration certificate?

Member Array
    Car:
    SeeYou2
    LoL@people showing off their tools here.

To the OP, "use the right tool(s) for the job" is what I believe in. Just buy what you believe would be suitable/can afford for the job at hand based on the advice here. As an example, can you justify spending $500+ for a cordless unit which you're going to be using once here and maybe 3 or 4 times per year when you're on track?

I had to do a few spark plugs once upon a time and bought a ~$40 from SCA. Used it for less than 5x's and now it's sitting somewhere in my garage (I think). $40 well spent at the time I reckon coz now I never have to use it again but at that time, it was the right tool for the job .
    (づ ̄3 ̄)づ

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney Buses
    yeah i agree with spending the money right. I also reckon that spending 500+ for cordless unit is not worth if im using it like 3-4 times a year.... Think i'll just settle with one set of breaker bar and one torque wrench...i'll be popping by bunnings later to see wat they have...

guys, I think everyone has a point here. It's more like your own preference...
    Rep me if you think it is mechanically sound

just an opion / experience here

for a GOOD impact gun - 1/2 inch , 200nm "rated" or more - 18v a must.
    Around $600+ for the kit.

for a good torque wrench , ranges from $150 +

For the casual DIY guy this isnt an option. If you will use it moderate or often track etc its a good investment.