Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    02 Integra Type-R

engine noises in DC5 Type-R - auto chain tensioner replacement

Hi All,

My Type-R has started making some 'grinding' type noises (sorry, not good at describing it) when it first starts and driving, it has done about 158,000km. The noise goes away after about 30 seconds.

I have taken it to the local Honda dealer, and they have said it looks like the auto chain tensioner will need to be replaced, and possibly the timing chain aswell if it has been stretched.

Has anyone had experience with this before, and know what it should really cost me? They have said that it is extremely labour intensive, and not worked out a price yet.

They have also recommended that I get the major 160k service done at the same time, which is another $910 ontop of whatever they charge for the timing chain issue.

If I can get some advice on what this should really cost, and if anyone can recommend somewhere in Adelaide to do it, it would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markmill View Post
    Hi All,

My Type-R has started making some 'grinding' type noises (sorry, not good at describing it) when it first starts and driving, it has done about 158,000km. The noise goes away after about 30 seconds.

I have taken it to the local Honda dealer, and they have said it looks like the auto chain tensioner will need to be replaced, and possibly the timing chain aswell if it has been stretched.

Has anyone had experience with this before, and know what it should really cost me? They have said that it is extremely labour intensive, and not worked out a price yet.

They have also recommended that I get the major 160k service done at the same time, which is another $910 ontop of whatever they charge for the timing chain issue.

If I can get some advice on what this should really cost, and if anyone can recommend somewhere in Adelaide to do it, it would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Mark
    OMG Mine does this!!!!
    On the odd occasion... NOT ALWAYS...
    My auto Elec reckons it could be the starter motor aswel...
    The noise is like a crunchy sound but disappears after starting.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    At 158k and the fact that you are already hearing odd noises, you might have to replace not only the tensioner unit, but also the parts associated with the timing chain tensioner such as the guide rails and the chain.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by WATAJK View Post
    OMG Mine does this!!!!
    On the odd occasion... NOT ALWAYS...
    My auto Elec reckons it could be the starter motor aswel...
    The noise is like a crunchy sound but disappears after starting.
    You might have a different issue, especially if your crunchy sound disappears immediately after starting. The timing chain tensioner issue will be there for a bit longer until the oil flows into the tensioner unit to provide positive tension against the chain.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    02 Integra Type-R
    Honda have come back and said that they would be charging an extra $265 over the $910 service price to do the auto tensioner at the same time (much less than they hinted at!). but the service still seems pricey or is that right?

as aaronng mentioned, they also just told me that depending on what happens, they might also need to be replacing the chain if it has been stretched and other parts, which cant be determined until they start doing the work.... so there is this unknown cost.

their other recommendation if I am planning on keeping the car and not sell it is to get a complete reconditioned engine for $5k.... anyone had experience with this before?

Thanks for everyones feedback so far!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by markmill View Post
    Honda have come back and said that they would be charging an extra $265 over the $910 service price to do the auto tensioner at the same time (much less than they hinted at!). but the service still seems pricey or is that right?

as aaronng mentioned, they also just told me that depending on what happens, they might also need to be replacing the chain if it has been stretched and other parts, which cant be determined until they start doing the work.... so there is this unknown cost.

their other recommendation if I am planning on keeping the car and not sell it is to get a complete reconditioned engine for $5k.... anyone had experience with this before?

Thanks for everyones feedback so far!
    $5k for a reconditioned K20A2 seems very cheap. Where is this engine coming from and what is the history and condition?

Personally, I would get an experienced Honda workshop to replace the tensioner guide, chain tensioner unit and any other tensioner-related part and not do it through the dealer. The dealer is always more expensive.

Also, $910 for a 160k service is very expensive. It includes only the following as extras over a minor service: air filter replacement, fuel filter replacement and valve clearance inspection. Everything else (fluids and suspension parts) are inspected and only replaced as required, which becomes and extra cost on top of the $910.
    Last edited by aaronng; 24-12-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    02 Integra Type-R
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    $5k for a reconditioned K20A2 seems very cheap. Where is this engine coming from and what is the history and condition?

Personally, I would get an experienced Honda workshop to replace the tensioner guide, chain tensioner unit and any other tensioner-related part and not do it through the dealer. The dealer is always more expensive.

Also, $910 for a 160k service is very expensive. It includes only the following as extras over a minor service: air filter replacement, fuel filter replacement and valve clearance inspection. Everything else (fluids and suspension parts) are inspected and only replaced as required, which becomes and extra cost on top of the $910.
    They didnt say the source of the engine or history. They said they have done previous ones that have been around that price. Apparently they can source 2nd hand, non-reconditioned engines for slightly cheaper too if wanted, but that will not come with a warranty.

Thanks for your advice... I will phone around and see if I can find a honda workshop in Adelaide that can look at doing the work .... or if needed I guess I can always go for a road trip interstate to Melb or Syd

Thanks!

You might have a different issue, especially if your crunchy sound disappears immediately after starting. The timing chain tensioner issue will be there for a bit longer until the oil flows into the tensioner unit to provide positive tension against the chain.
    Ahh k
    well it's when i turn the key, engine starts (then i hear a crunching sound then it goes away, car drives fine??)

----------------------------------------------------------

Why don't you consider re-building your motor?
    Easily half the price.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Ahh k
    well it's when i turn the key, engine starts (then i hear a crunching sound then it goes away, car drives fine??)

Why don't you consider re-building your motor?
    Easily half the price.
    Yours sounds like a sticky starter solenoid. Is it a crunching sound like gears or is it a crunching screeching sound like scratching against a blackboard?

He doesn't need to rebuild the engine. Just needs to replace all the tensioner-related parts.

Yours sounds like a sticky starter solenoid. Is it a crunching sound like gears or is it a crunching screeching sound like scratching against a blackboard?

He doesn't need to rebuild the engine. Just needs to replace all the tensioner-related parts.
    Sounds like what your saying aaron, crunching of GEARS
    How can that be fixed ? (didn't wanna start a new topic as it's very similar)

Ahhh ok, thought a rebuild would b a good idea though
    Last edited by WATAJK; 24-12-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    [QUOTE=WATAJK;2595217]Ahh k

yeh mate i get that noise too when i start the engine half the time...its like a noise when you turn the key and hold it for too long...but when i turn on the engine, it makes the noise when i only turn the key a little...so dunno what that could be

[QUOTE=gilby126;2595320]
    Ahh k

yeh mate i get that noise too when i start the engine half the time...its like a noise when you turn the key and hold it for too long...but when i turn on the engine, it makes the noise when i only turn the key a little...so dunno what that could be
    ive thee exact same thing as u >.>
    io share ur pain