Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Beeza - i've found from other friends who track alot (and the Bridgestone tyre owner), that when you run street tyres you wear them out pretty quick. Friend managed to wear down his Re001 to 50% in one track day. He ran the RE55 and they were about 80%.

I run second hand semis, which are usually quite cheap. I've been to 2 track days with them and only worn about 20% or so. Semis last longer in the heat than normal tyres.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    ...if its your 1st time go out with what u have and get a feel for the car... then after if u think u need some more grip them switch to semi's...
    Good Advice, but this is just a general Tyre comments thread - not about my own personal track ambitions LOL.. we all know we need to just get out there on what we've got etc.. but the problem being that I wont pass scruitineering on my current tyres (bald inside edges) and I have no need for daily driving tyres... however most of us drive the cars TO the track so needs to be Street Legal..

Just looking for comments on the tyres members have used and perhaps the prices they paid for those tyres also.. and where they got them as for example TOYO R888's I dont think u can get over here (in WA at least).. for example some friends of mine have brought them in from the US for cheaper than 'normal' tyres over here..
    Last edited by VT3C; 12-01-2010 at 12:28 PM.

The high performance street tyres (RE001 is not in this catagory) will last longer than true R-compounds both on the track and on the street, and cost you less money. If you overdrive your car, plow in every corner, or frequently lock up your brakes, you're going to devastate whatever tyres you have on there.

Losing 80% tread in 1 trackday is outrageous - how fast does the same driver and car wear semi-slicks?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    R888 - you can get from Teleb tyres, pretty good prices also.

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by VT3C View Post
    Trying to get out onto the track ASAP I've been hit with the whole conundrum of which tyres to get for track duties..
    u asked which tyres to get, i did say R888.

i just gave my advice as well
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Don't be a pussy. Get a set of Hoosier R6.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Haha!

ALl the advice is good relevant info.

The R888 are sounding good,I'm not made of money

Just to add

I drive like a big girl at the track
    and also on the road. This nets me more than 25,000ks on this current set of tyres , half a dozen track days an drag strip events too.
    If you want your tyres to last drive like there is a can if coke on your bonnet lol.
    But you won't net your best times

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    my wheels were squeeling all through the bends, it was great

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    u asked which tyres to get, i did say R888.

i just gave my advice as well
    yeah everyone's comments appreciated but I didnt ask for anyone to advise me personally.. this is a thread for general info on these semi-slicks for those who may be finding it hard to get all of this info and opinions in the one place.

Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    Don't be a pussy. Get a set of Hoosier R6.
    HAHAH yeah man !! never heard of the term SEMI slicks untill these honda peoples started up.. I thought there was SLICKS and then there was WETS and then ROAD Tyres.. the whole 'Semi-Slick' I thought was in relation to the DOT approved 'R-Comp' tyres (Racing Comp/SOFT).. which are really just road tyres LOL..

but unfortunately some of us have to drive to the events and some events actually prohibit the use of slicks..

it needs to be made clear that a good Road tyre will be compromised at the track in the same way that a 'semi slick' will be compromised on the street.. for example the road tyre will generally have better durabilty at the sacrifice of dry weather grip.. in the wet.. the semi's would be awfull and almost dangerous on the street and in the dry they would wear quite fast compared to a harder compound street tyre..

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    yeah good point.
    I drive with semis on the road cos i'm lazy so i never come out to play in the wet.

First time I wen to the track I used Advan AD07 street tires, was good. The next time I went with a set of new AO48's semis. The difference was a lot, so much better with the semis. I used them for another day, then sold them.

Bought a set of DUNLOP DZ03G (R compound) and they are awesome, better than the AO48's (not by much to be honest, prob just because they were new ) but yeah, The Dunlops are my choice at the moment
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW