Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine wearing

Member Array
    Car:
    my2000 type r dc2

engine wearing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys,

i got dc2r b18c7
    parts:
    -BC spec 3 cams
    -BC dual valve springs titanium
    -BC cam gears
    -BC retainers titanium

tune
    -Apexi power fc

question: my km's are 110,000 rufly on my dash..will these performance parts reduce my engines life??
    my car is used for highway driving :S to wollongong and back pretty much

ive got the parts but im scared to blow my motor

can anyone give me advise please

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    this could be a contentious one, but im going to stick on one side of the fence and say that anything different to OEM will reduce the life of your motor given a consistent driving style
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    As far as an engineering perspective is concerned, the stiffer springs will increase pressure on the rotating assembly. More pressure = more wear. Put it simply, if you didnt have any springs in there at all (theoretically) the cams could spin freely and there wouldnt be any stress placed on the bearings, put massive springs into the equation and the cam will go from hardly any loads placed onto the bearings to alot of force placed on the bearings when the springs are depressed.

As far as wether or not this will be detrimental to the head, better off asking someone like adrian from toda or someone who has been in the game for a long time and has done it many times.
    Honda Accord Euro

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    What would you say the current condition of ur motor is? Blowing any smoke? You should do a comp test to get a rough idea of the sleeves condition, regardless of the motor the stiffer springs will put extra load on the motor, an important step is to atleast get a racing timing belt, also pretty sure you should be running a little higher comp with the bc3 cams so would be a good time to pull motor out, rebuild and get nrp or ycp overbore higher comp pistons while your at it. Rebuilds really don cost that much at all if you can remove and strip the motor. Goodluck
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Agreed. A slight hone, new rings/rebuild/belt is a bit cheaper than scored bores or snapped timing belt which equals smashed head.
    Honda Accord Euro

Member Array
    Car:
    my2000 type r dc2
    dam that sucks.. im gonna get rid of these parts man i just got them yesterday aswell.... :S

spewing big time..thanks guys

As long as its driven correct, good parts are used and install/tune are GREAT then it will be ok. Its not like you're running your car on methanol or something.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Dont get rid of them just yet mate. Its not like they will kill your motor in a few revolutions, its just that its more aggresive than factory. Thats like anything though when it comes to modifications - they effect longevity. Look at a top fueler.

Just make an informed decision on wether or not this will be your best option, as sometimes modifying can create more work and cost then you first intended. Also for very high spec cams you will need to raise compression. Best talk to adrian - hell steer you in the right direction.
    Honda Accord Euro

Member Array
    Car:
    my2000 type r dc2
    im always down wollongong way on the highway every weekend to sleep over my girlfriends house....my car sits on 4,000rpm all the way on the highway for a long time....should i just buy a cheap run around??or is it alright to sit on the highway with the motor revving high??

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    get some forged internals :P

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2
    honestly, i wouldnt be too worried with those parts. buddy club spec III cams are a straight drop in cam - u dont really need to upgrade valve springs and they can be run on a standard tune, though of course you will get more from a proper tune. they arent really aggressive wen u look at the specs as they are quite similar to the OEM dc2r cams.

one thing however is that u mentioned this was ur daily driver? titanium retainers for a daily driver is probably not the best idea. they tend to wear down quite quickly and are often replaced every 25,000km - 30,000km or so (of course, dependent on ur driving style). i'd stick with the OEM retainers or get some after market steel ones. since the cams are designed to be optimal within the standard rev range, you dont need to worry about valve float/valve bounce

If you're scared, don't do it.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R