Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array

new VIC p-plate laws for engine swap

ok guys this is starting to do my head in.

i was trying to decide whether its worth doing a b18cr swap onto my ek1 hatch, until i was faced with another issue i totally overlooked: im licensed under the new the p-plate laws.

i went to the arrivealive website to check on the restrictions and found this:

A probationary licence holder cannot drive a vehicle if it has:

an engine that has been modified to increase its performance
    we're not modifying the engine here, we're CHANGING the engine to increase performance. also, stock b18cr puts out about 150kw atf (wiki), and ek1 has kerb weight of about 1030kg (redbook). using a simple calc, p:w is 146kw/tonne, well over the limit of 125kw/t. now the next bit is why i posted this on the nooblets corner:

-what sort of procedure is required to legalise an engine swap? (ie. notifying vicroads, etc.)

-then, does anyone know if vicroads will turn around and say no you cant do a swap because youre under the new laws, and because the p:w ratio is too high?

-what happens if i dont notify vicroads about the change, and try to keep a low profile until im off my ps?

-what about insurance, would they insure my car under third party when im not supposed to be allowed to drive it?

if anything, i was going to respray the rocker cover black or silver and with any aftermarket intake and headers somehow disguised to give it a dead stock look under the bonnet. im a pussy, i know lol, but i just want to avoid trouble as much as possible. ill prob have enough money to do the conversion by august this year, and id have about 2.5 years left on my ps then. so its only for this period of time, then i can go all out with the car.

there was more i wanted to ask but i cant remember lol, ill post it later when i do.

thanks in advance guys!
    naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Sometimes rules are meant to be broken.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    I'm almost certain the power to weight ratio has no relevance to P platers now.

I had to make a similar decision.
    Seems like down in Melbourne you guys get away with a lot more.

Risk to reward ratio is what I think you should think about.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDMDC2/EG4
    im a p plater. i say stuff it
    laws are ment to be broken. within reason ofcorse lol

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    I think you can still register it with the swap etc, you just aren't allowed to drive it while your on P plate laws.....

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Its only illegal if you get caught.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    just do it, 99.9% of the times, these melb coppers are fuked in the head and dont know shit from clay, so how they gonna tell the difference between a B-series and a D-series????

i mean, fuk i was pulled over in my dc2R (when it was NA with x-force headers) and the copper told me i had tweaked my turbo and pointed to my headers................................it made me LOL in his face, so he decided to give me a defect/canary for being 2 low..............
    so i drove home and it took me all of 20mins to raise my coilovers and get a RWC and go and clear it................baaaaahhhhhh to all those fuked up/ dumb melb coppers...........

Member Array
    exactly right, im not too worried about coppers, they dont kno jack shit.

like my mate drives an s15 with some aftermarket gauges on the dash, coppers reckoned it was a turbo 'timer' LOL

but if what foujee says is true,that i can still register the car as being swapped regardless of the owner being a probationary license holder, then id just go for the sleeper look, make the car look 'friendly' lol. but can anyone else clarify if this is true?
    naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx Type X
    u can do the swap and reg it with the new engine. no problems there. dont even need engineer for b18.

ur insurance will most likly go up, and u will need to check if ur covered by insurance with a larger motor/modified car though

the chances though of a cop pulling u up, and checking the block and thinking it dosnt belong, highly unlikely.

if they let commodores go with 5l swaps. uv got no worries.

oversteer....you wouldn't understand.
    ozhonda 4 lyfe!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    OK what said above me makes the most sense. A car is only falls into the power to weight category if it was released standard from factory over the power to weight, when you do the engine swap, you tell them that you were recommended by a mechanic that the engine you put in is more reliable and were the only ones avaliable at the time.
    that should be fine with them and then you just give engine number and chasis number and they register the car with that engine.

Let us know how you go when its all cleared
    Parting 1997 Integra GSi Turbo.
    Everything for sale: Visit my thread
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-for-sale-more

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    and even if they don't be sweet with it. Get your parents or older brother/sister to have rego in there name and they will approve of it easier and then you just drive it in there name.
    Parting 1997 Integra GSi Turbo.
    Everything for sale: Visit my thread
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-for-sale-more

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    Just say its a replacement motor + dodgey blue slip = win. Whats the chances of the cop actually looking for the engine number on the block and comparing it to the rego n shit.