Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '88 CRX

Gremlins ate my VTEC!

Ok, so i'm driving my girlfriend's SiR CRX to and from work at the moment, and yesterday I drove it to work fine, no hassle, but upon starting in the afternoon i noticed that my dash lights had gone awol...
    I still get battery and emissions check light before starting (along with the door open light regardless of whether the door is open or not), but when i turn the key those lights go off, and no more come on.

No handbrake light
    no engine light
    no indicators (though the bulbs all light ok on hazards and alarm lock/unlock)
    no speedometer
    no tachometer (including rice-spec monster tacho)
    and more importantly (maybe not) NO VTEC!

I have my own CRX, but it's aussie spec and doesn't use a VSS, so not 100% sure on what is governed by this.

Apart from the above, the car starts, idles and drives just fine, and the only thing I can begin to point a finger at, is that one of the indicator bulbs dropped down and must have hit the road and broken the bulb, though i fail to see how this would cause any of the above problems, have replaced the globe since and all works fine.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Centurius; 19-02-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic hatch
    Sounds like a possible power supply issue to the cluster and other components tied to the circuit. Possible short from the blown bulb, replace and re-secure bulb. Make 100% sure all fuses are OK, under bonnet and dash. Test using test light/multimeter and visually.

Start with that.

If all fails whip out the wiring diagrams and check the common links.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '88 CRX
    Well, this afternoon on arrival home from work I attempted to check ecu for codes. Didn't go so well as I mentioned in my first post, the engine light wasn't working. Fail.
    So I dug around and found my test light, and went about testing fuses.. found one 10amp blown and replaced offending fuse. Now being that I don't read japanese I only had my ED9 CRX fuse cover to go from, I can only guess that it was the wiper/power window relay fuse.
    Biggest over-reaction in EF8 history?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '95 vti-r Integra
    lolz, learn japanese, or at least katakana, thats what they use to sound out carparts in engrish