Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by br3nny View Post
    thanks for all the replies......theres a self check thing that you can do that i read on civinfo....brings up all the DTC errors on the screen in the dashboard (basically short the fuse slot that they usually stick the plug into)
    Use an OBDII tool to read the code. It might be throwing a Honda-specific Pxxxx code which might not come up with the fuse method.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Yep .. got to organise a time to get it checked out...

will keep you posted

been keeping a log of the ambient temperature etc and times the damn thing keeps coming on and off....so far so good and its kept itself off
    n3rb-alicious !

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Use an OBDII tool to read the code. It might be throwing a Honda-specific Pxxxx code which might not come up with the fuse method.
    yes, yes, yes, yes and yes! when a check engine light comes on, use a code reader and get that error code out of the ECU - it will tell you exactly where to start looking.

if you don't want to pay a mechanic to do it and you have a laptop you can buy USB code readers for $100 (google for 'elm327') - probably how much it costs for a normal auto-electrician to diagnose the problem anyway

i can make a good guess at what it is mate. normally on modern engines there are two O2 sensors, pre cat and post cat. if you have a catback system the post-cat O2 sensor will have to be moved, which often means the O2 sensor wiring is extended/shortened. ask the guy who did it how he wired it up, or go under the car and take a look yourself. if they didn't do a good job extending the wires you can get intermittent connection problems to your O2 sensor causing the ECU to think it's shat itself and put up a check engine light.

good luck, your first port of call with OBDII systems is ALWAYS a code reader!

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    thanks to lukits i managed to get the scanner while the engine light was on

error code read P0172 which means the car is running rich ....

now to see if it was the intake that was causing the problems !!!!
    n3rb-alicious !

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    hmmmm....cel just came on my car aswel?
    Car is running fine.....and has no mods done to it!
    Think i'll see the Honda dealer on Monday, Still under warranty.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by br3nny View Post
    thanks to lukits i managed to get the scanner while the engine light was on

error code read P0172 which means the car is running rich ....

now to see if it was the intake that was causing the problems !!!!
    Check if your MAP sensor is still working fine.

I'm not an expert in this field, but I did quite a bit of diagnosis when my check engine light came on. It turned out I had to replace my primary O2 sensor. In your case it may be different.

During my research, I came across a method to bypass the secondary o2 sensor using a defouler. There's some background information as to what would cause the light to come on and the technique to overcome this. If all other things don't work, try giving this a go:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/exhau...r-threads.html

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It could also be the primary O2 sensor like p3p5y mentioned. However I doubt a defouler would fix the problem since a different code is involved if you trigger the secondary O2 sensor (P0420, cat efficiency below threshold).

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    I had an engine light on my car for 2 reasons.
    1. the O2 sensor in the cat needed replacing
    2. the sensor in the cai was in properly
    Not the best advise but hope it can help a little bit